Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where can i find 4lb. packages of bee that can be shipped  (Read 3039 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Where can i find 4lb. packages of bee that can be shipped
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:48:54 pm »
Hello

I am searching for anyone that sells four pound packages of bees that will ship. I tried oh bees and they don't ship the place i get my packages from has that amount but they don't ship due to the cages. I would aleast like to get one from someone to put in my hives it would mean they would build up faster and i may be able to split down the line by summer.

Tom

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Where can i find 4lb. packages of bee that can be shipped
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 08:53:09 pm »
have you tried dadant and sons

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »
3 lbs or 4 lbs will do fine.  You won't be able to tell the difference in three weeks.

I'd look for a place you can pick them up.  Shipping is hard on them especially when you have paranoid postal workers.

Check with your local bee club.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »
That seems unusual to me to by a package to ad to a hive but what ever.I have had the same problem in LA here no one ships>Coma apiaries ships but not selling Packages this year I have jus had better luck with Feral Bees maybe you can catch a swarm or two then ad to your hives
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:07:34 am »
> have you tried dadant and sons

Tom..  I bought my Feed Bee from Dadant branch in Lynchburg, VA..  the number was published in an advertisment in Bee Culture.  I wonder if they also distritbute packages from that location.  How far is that from you? 

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 01:24:35 pm »
either that or Brushy Mountain is in NC...i think lynchburg is closer to you.

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »
Dadant will have packages available but you will need to get on an order list.  Sometimes there are bees left over that will become available if folks do not return for pick up but I wouldn't count on it.  Their number is (434) 846-0666.
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:49:05 pm »
If you have a retailer of bee supplies in your area I would check to see if they order large quantities of bees.  My local bee equipment supplier trucks in packaged bees twice a year: once in April and again in May.  Loal beekeeping organizations often "pool" to purchase bees and are another good source.  Usually you can specify which size package you want:2,3,4, or 5 lbs.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:25:45 am »
Hello

I have decided to stick with the 3lb. packages my supplier has full packages like i have never seen they are a little more higher due to UPS but they are good bees and you get them the next day.

Tom

Offline biodlare

• Brood
    • http://www.geocities.com/n1aep
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 06:38:44 pm »
Wilbanks sells 4 & 5 lb packages AFAIK.

Most of the bees will be dying off after 3 weeks so it might not make much difference. 2 lbs is good if you have drawn comb, 3 if you have only foundation.

Offline Ray Hall

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 07:54:06 pm »
I ordered 2 packages today from Dadant in Lynchburg. There packages are 3lbs and well be ready for pickup on April 9. The coat is $65.