Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to kill the wax moth larvae from comb without a deep freezer?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Beetific

• New Bee
My mentor left me bags of comb to clean and melt down and make things with it, as I wish. But there was larvae in it and I don't want to waste the wax, but I can hear things moving inside. I opened one bag and it was full of larvae squirming around.

How do I kill off all the larvae without a deep freezer?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: How to kill the wax moth larvae from comb without a deep freezer?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »
Anything that will displace the air will work. If you have access to dry ice or compressed CO2 that will work. I opened a swarm trap yesterday and it was full of moth and larvae. I closed it back up and poured a little acetone into the entrance and sealed it up. Opened it last night and cleaned it out. Only found one live moth in it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »
Same as your post in Gen. Beekeeping.

I put them in my solar wax melter. It both melts the wax and kills the wildlife.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 05:25:16 pm »
+1 iddee

Clean the wax. Kill the bugs. Simple
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy