Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nasanov with a stinger?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Nasanov with a stinger?
« on: November 29, 2005, 07:14:02 am »
I don't know if I'm saying this correctly and I'm not going to wake the wife to get my books, so I'll have to wing it.

My wife and I were in the back yard looking at what we hope to be a new property line and our blackberry bushes newly planted a couple weeks ago when she asked me about the bees.  I took her over and explained that I was hoping that the top super, which has starter strips melted into the top bars will get drawn out quickly this spring.  When I pulled the top covers and removed three frames to show her the deep brood box we noticed a lot of bees on top of the frames and on the bottom bars of the upper box fanning with their tails up in the air.  I told her they do this a lot and they are exposing their nasanov (?) gland which is right next to their stinger and spreading the scent phermone throughout the hive.  

What was curious was that they all had their stinger fully extended.  Not just one or two, but the whole lot of them, about fifty or sixty.  Does anyone have any insight?  I have seen a few extend their stinger for a second or two, but not this many and not for the whole time they are fanning.

If it means anything, our days are high forties to low sixties and nights are high twenties to mid thirties.  

Thanks all!
                             David
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Nasanov with a stinger?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:28:37 pm »
What did it smell like?  If it smelled like lemon, it was Nasonov.  If it smelled like banana it was alarm pheromone.  Since none of them attacked you, I'd say it was Nasonov.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Nasanov with a stinger?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:58:44 pm »
Well, I don't know if this is going to help you, but this happened to a new hive a couple of years ago. They all had their stingers out correct? I just closed the top and just walked away. Looked back a couple of weeks, and all was good. Also, make sure nothing is bothering them, like enemy bees, etc. That might make them act this way. =\

Hope it helped yah...

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Nasanov with a stinger?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 07:56:13 am »
Any hive that's been disturbed will have some bees fanning nasanov.  Some more than others.  Some days more than others, but they always do it.  They have to get inthat position to expose the glands.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Nasanov with a stinger?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 02:03:24 pm »
This is what I saw... I noticed if you blow on them a little, this is their reaction

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Nasanov with a stinger?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 06:28:59 pm »
Quote from: newbee101
I noticed if you blow on them a little, this is their reaction

That's all the reaction you get??? If I could be so lucky. A little breath on mine and they let you know they don't like it.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/