Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow Hyssop  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Yellow Hyssop
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:38 pm »
Does anyone know if the yellow Hyssop attracts the bees like the Anise Hyssop?  Trying to find some different color preninals other than purple that I can add to my garden, trying to take the advise of others. 

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Yellow Hyssop
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 09:04:29 pm »
No idea about the Hyssop but there are some perennial Sunflowers (notorious for falling over) that bees like. Sneezing Weed is another one. Asters, and Goldenrod are great. Echinops ritro is another good one but has thorn covered leaves, and looks weedy over all. Sea Holly probably gets the same amount of attention and isn't as thorny but sure looks it.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
Shawn, Hyssop is Hyssop, I would entirely imagine that it would be extremely attractive to bees, yellow is attractive, definitely.  I would plant it if you have access to it.  I googled the yellow hyssop (agastache nepetoides) see this:  http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/okwild/gyhys.html and it is a very attractive plant.  It looks so much like the giant hyssop that I grow.  I wish that there was not so many names for species of plants.  Have you seen the pictures of my giant hyssop (agastache foeniculum)?  I will post one to remind of what it looks like.  This is the link to the wild giant hyssop, my cultivar is called Blue Fortune.  Bees love, yellow, white, blue.  Have a wonderful most beautiful day, life and health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:04:55 pm »
Thanks MrILoveTheAnts. I wrote down some of the sugestions, except for the goldenrod  :-X.

Cindi, I took your advise last year and planted three Ansie Hyssops in the garden. They bloomed last year and bees were all over them. This year they came back fuller than before, Not quite like yours  :). Your plants are incredible and thats why I am working on getting my home to have great flowers. I have planned an area to plant sunflowers. Last year we only planted 5 and the gold fenches were all over the porch. I didnt see too many of my bees there, well at least honey bees. I noticed a lot of carpenter bees and I think they were chasing everything off. Ill have to put a sign up that says "Honey Bees only."

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Hyssop on sale through memorial day
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:44:11 am »
Just wanted to pass along a note... Blue Stone Perennials is having a sale through tonight and they have several cultivars of hyssop at great prices (compared to locally). Check 'em out Agastache  I paid more than the sale price for one plant here in town!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

P.S. Hope it was ok to post that??? :shock: