Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dirty coating on duck eggs  (Read 9784 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Dirty coating on duck eggs
« on: October 22, 2011, 08:18:34 pm »
Hey guys!
Our Peking duck finally started laying today (2 eggs!) and this is my first time dealing with duck eggs.  Are they supposed to have a dirty film covering the egg?  Our duck lives with our chickens and we just wanna make sure the eggs are the ducks and not from a sick hen.  They're definitely a little longer in shape and bright white under the waxy film, unlike the barred rock's eggs which are brown with no coating.

Thanks!  You guys rock!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Dirty coating on duck eggs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:21 pm »
Yeah, thats normal-but fair warning, if you decide to eat them they taste like mud

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
Yeah, thats normal-but fair warning, if you decide to eat them they taste like mud

Most definitely do not taste like mud. So far she's laid almost a dozen and I've been having either a fried or hard boiled every morning.  We even made brownies with one a couple weeks ago which turned out fantastic.  They taste just like a chicken egg, but with a little more yolk and quite a bit richer.  I'm liking duck eggs almost more than chicken eggs now.  Might have to buy a few more ducklings come springtime!

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:51:47 pm »
Actually they taste like duck eggs... oddly enough... but the coating will protect the egg, so I leave it on.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 07:18:56 am »
I'm thinking like M.B. on this one. Sounds like it could just be the bloom you are seeing?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline armyturner

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 09:12:10 am »
Never had any that tasted like mud. Duck eggs are often used in upscale bakeries in place of chicken eggs. Have you notices the difference in yolk? I have mallards and the yolk is much thicker from their eggs than the ones from my chickens.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:13 am »
I must have had some mud eating ducks then-I didnt care for the taste at all.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:08:58 pm »
Duck eggs definitely do not taste like chicken eggs.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:47:42 pm »
I've eaten duck eggs from my friend Jordan. I really like them! I find them similar to my hen's eggs but richer in taste. I hear that duck eggs make fantastic mayonnaise.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:52 pm »
when I was young my mother had geese and would get  eggs from them.  I remember relatives coming for the weekend and mom cooking breakfast.  She asked my uncle how many eggs?   He said 2 over easy.  She brought them out to him on 2 plates.  The look on his face was great

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:13 pm »
The duck eggs I've tried weren't bad in taste, but it was the texture that got to me.  Rubbery.  Maybe I prepared them wrong?  Are there better ways than others?  Or maybe it was the ducks, I had Indian Runners at the time.

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:49:34 am »
... The duck eggs I've tried were... Rubbery...
:-D AliciaH, you make soooooooo... easy.  I've seen rubber chickens, even had one, but the last time I saw a rubber duck was on Groucho Marks' TV show "You Bet Your Life."  If you don't get it ask someone older, maybe much older. :-D 1955 Groucho Marx DeSoto COMPLETE TV SHOW 1 of 4
Outside of carnival games I thought that the rubber duck was as extinct as the Plymouth and DeSota automobiles Groucho pitched.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
Our duck eggs stay a bit stained, too. I really can't tell the difference in taste between duck, chicken and turkey eggs, but they definitely shell out differently and have varied textures!
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything