Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queen cup on bottom of frame and swarm?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
queen cup on bottom of frame and swarm?
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:45:16 pm »
Yesterday I found these cells on the bottom of a frame in a 2 deep hive (bottom box) that experienced a supercedure less than a month ago.  I gave her a second brood box with new duraglit 3 weeks ago today and the second shot is a frame representative of 6 of the frames in this new box.  I am going to add a 3rd brood box this week and plan to do splits in a month when new queens arrive.  Do you think they're planning to swarm, even with the new real estate they have?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: queen cup on bottom of frame and swarm?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »
nice brood pattern.  add the box.  is it time for honey yet? 

maybe no swarm.  found the same in a super today and the hive appears queenless. maybe a virgin around somewhere waiting for drones and weather. however, if that is what your whole hive looks like, you  won't have much room soon.  then you'll get a swarm almost certainly.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:01 pm »
It is bees' natural tendency to swarm. Swarming is a good thing; it means a healthy colony. Catching it before they swarm and doing a split sometimes saves the work of trying to catch the swarm later -- but neither is foolproof.

And WOW, that's a lot of capped brood in the second photo!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:44 pm »
nice brood pattern.  add the box.  is it time for honey yet? 

maybe no swarm.  found the same in a super today and the hive appears queenless. maybe a virgin around somewhere waiting for drones and weather. however, if that is what your whole hive looks like, you  won't have much room soon.  then you'll get a swarm almost certainly.

Yes, there's a citrus flow on now.  One super mostly capped so far and another half full.  And hive is solid brood like that in box 2 and box one in more stages of development but full just the same.  There is a good bit of drone comb on a couple frames as well.  Thought I'd have a little more time and so scrambled to order new woodenware last week when I saw the second new box full of eggs and larvae last week.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:00:00 am »
That's quite a queen you've got there!! The supersedure was a good one! Congrats!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:12:39 pm »
If there is no larvae in the cup I wouldn't consider it to mean anything.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:47:21 am »

They were both empty.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 12:47:37 am »

A lot of hives, regardless of race, maintain queen cups all year long.  They will make some, tear some down, build others and tear those down.   Until I see and egg, larvae, or capped queen cell I ignore them.  Russians build a lot more of them than do Italians.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!