Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Red River Co. Tx.  (Read 2863 times)

Offline beehaven

• Brood
Greetings from Red River Co. Tx.
« on: December 16, 2008, 02:24:18 pm »
Hello All.

My name is Billy and I am a former Electro/Mechanical Engineer from Dallas. I was givin a small farm house that my grandfather built after WW2 that sits on about 80 acres of mostly wooded land in Bagwell Tx. Its about 11 miles south of the Ok border. I do not hunt, but there are lots of deer and turkey. Also the human population of this area has seriously declined over the last 10 years and now black bears and wolves have been caught on wildlife cameras. I havent actually seen them, but I have seen the tracks and pictures of them. I am happy to see that they are moving back in. I have been working on the house now for 5 years in my spare time trying to get it livable again, It sat empty for a long time. The idea of beekeeping was presented to me by my friend a few years ago, and now that I have been laid off for the 3rd time in my short career, I am only 38, I have decided to swim against the current and jump into my farm full time. Also when I found that there is a Dadant branch in Paris, about 30 min away, I took it as a sign and that pretty much sealed the deal. Although now I am making most o my own boxes, I knew that I bought all that woodworking equipment for something.  :-P I always knew that I would do something with this land, I have a huge garden every year that produces a lot of okra, squash and peppers, but I think that this year along with that, beekeeping will become the main focus. I know that I will not get rich, but that is not what I am trying to do. I just want to work my farm and be happy. Most of my questions have already been answered on this forum, so I may not post many, but I will try to chime in now and then. Thank you all for being here.

Billy

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Greetings from Red River Co. Tx.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:40:15 pm »
Hello Billy

Nice to meet you and it sounds like a wonderful new life for you on that farm. How lucky that you have that farm to start up a new venture. As things progress for you, let us know what you are up to.

I have 2 hives in Northern California on a friends property up the block from me. He has 20 acres and my bees are situated up on a knoll in a very nice area.  My friend has a very large garden and orchards so my bees always have something to forage on in addition to the wild areas around here.   The bees drink from his small water pond about 200feet away from the hives.  I started beekeeping April 2006 and so far still have 2 hives. It has been unbelievably challenging for me sometimes, mostly because I am not very strong and it probably takes me twice as long as it will take you. Also whenever I lift those supers, I end up in so much pain. Again something you will probably not have to worry about.

Good luck to you Billy

Annette

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:51:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum Billy. I'm probably about 30 minutes from you in Colbert, OK

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 09:47:37 pm »
Hello and Welcome Billy
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 12:49:30 pm »
Billy, welcome to our forum.  So nice that you have that family farm that you are going to work.  The bees will help you to increase the production of food on your land, along with so many other wonderful things.  No, you won't get rich, but you will be rich with experience and pleasure, as you keep the bees.  They are the most beautiful thing, the adventures you will have, beautiful.  Here we can help you, you can ask your questions, tell us your stories, tales and experiences, and make new friends.  We have a wonderful community here, that you will see, with those new friends you will make.  Stick around.  Have a most wonderful and awesome day, life, great health wishes for us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:06 pm »
Welcome Billy!  It sounds like you have a little bit of heaven!  Would love to have all that land!  You can become fairly self-sufficient with that much space without over-clearing. Lets see, there is room for cows, Muscovy's, chix, turkeys, a goat or 3 maybe a llama and BEES! :lol:  Ask away, there are always more questions to be answered!  Tell us your stories, we love stories!  Again, welcome J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Algonam

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 06:33:49 am »
Welcome Billy!
I'm new too....it sure is hot in TN...are you close to Nashville?

Oh Canada!

Offline steveouk

• House Bee
  • A Brit living in the USA
    • Steve's Bees
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 07:44:52 pm »
algonam i think your a few hundred miles off course !