Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey layout for the wintertime  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Honey layout for the wintertime
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:54:35 pm »
I was perusing some of my typing from books and came across this document I had typed.   Something that caught my attention was that the honey stores in the upper chamber should be dark brood comb, if not the bees will cluster lower in the hive.  What do you think?  Have a great and wonderful day, health.  Cindi

Winter Honey Store Layout

1.   40 pounds honey stored in dark brood combs in top box
2.   From 1-3 of middle combs should contain small areas (approximately 3-5”) which are more or less free of honey so that the cluster will occupy this body during coldest weather
3.   Pollen reserves may be covered with sealed honey in upper hive body or close to the centre in the hive body just below
4.   From 20-30 pounds of additional reserve honey should be contained in frames about equally divided on each side of this lower hive body
5.   In a two-story hive, full combs of honey must sometimes be exchanged for light combs to ensure 40 pounds of honey in the top chamber or 60 pounds in both
6.   Bees will move honey from the bottom to the top
7.   The winter cluster will form to the upper hive body provided the stores are contained in dark brood combs and there is a small open centre free of honey.  Under these conditions the cluster will cover comb of sealed honey in the coldest months
8.   If all of the upper combs are filled with sealed honey or if they have not been used in brood rearing, the bees will cluster lower down in the hive
The mortality in winter of a healthy hive will seldom exceed 15%
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline justgojumpit

• House Bee
Re: Honey layout for the wintertime
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 11:06:07 pm »
Seems overly complex to me...

justgojumpit
Keeper of bees and builder of custom beekeeping equipment.

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 03:40:40 am »
That's interesting stuff you wrote there Cindy I usually don't give it that much thought.Of course my winters aren't as bad as yours  I just try to make sure I have about seven frames of honey on the top box and keep a one pound pollen patty in the box in Nov,DEC,Jan,and one in Feb as I put them in the almonds .When the almonds start to bloom they don't eat the patties if the weather goes bad then they eat on the patties again .Also  I wonder why they prefer the dark brood comb I usually try to get rid of the old dark wax about every 3rd or 4th year maybe I need to rethink that.      metzelplex

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 01:07:41 pm »
Metzelplex.  (One day I want to know what your handle means, hee, hee, it is an odd one, but cool).

I wondered too about the dark brood comb, that is why I mentioned that in particular.  The only thing that I can think of why this would be a recommendation would be because I would think honey in a dark comb may stay more warm than a light coloured comb.  I would love to hear some responses from other members that may know WHY.  Have a great and wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:20:33 pm »
I appreciate the perspective. An image i keep in mind especially on the final inspection is this...i may have even picked it up here. The hive's ideal layout from the center out in all directions goes brood (w/free space for clustering in the off season) pollen honey....see below:

honey honey honey honey honey honey honey
honey honey pollen pollen pollen honey honey
honey pollen pollen freespace BROOD freespace pollen pollen honey
honey honey pollen pollen pollen honey honey
honey honey honey honey honey honey honey

I am reassured that they will move their stores around. Winter has taken its hold and I am trying to trust they can manage on the ample stores they went into the season with.

anything