Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you cut out the hive handles?  (Read 10667 times)

Offline little john

• Super Bee
Re: How do you cut out the hive handles?
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 04:37:43 pm »
Many thanks - I'm located way out in open countryside and my 'broadband' (pause for laughter ...) reaches me via several miles of standard telephone line. Downloading is bad enough, but uploading really is excruciatingly slow ...

I've just dug out the Hogan jig I made a few years back to cut hand-holds in some Russian 'Alpine' hives I'd made in order to try-out the Warre system. But I don't use it anymore as the British Nationals I use have built-in hand-holds.

As you will see, I used a piece of plywood (10mm) instead of separate pieces of wood, which I think makes for a more rigid jig. The number '35' is a blade depth setting reminder. If it looks like it's been rained-on ... it has.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline biggraham610

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 07:57:18 pm »
No, I never received it. Nothing.
Jim

Sorry Jim, I should have just sent you this link. G

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/handhold-jig/
"The Bees are the Beekeepers"

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 12:16:46 pm »
I make mine with a table saw set wood with claps with saw blade lowered all the way down, raise blade until it touches the wood, turn blade raise handle 1 full turn the use blade angle to turn blade to 45 degrees then back, raise blade 1 full rotation the angle to 45 degrees and back, do as many times as needed to get depth.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

anything