Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout Survival Rate for 2009  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Cutout Survival Rate for 2009
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:24:42 pm »
I just want to know other peoples cutout survival rate.

I'm at 40%

So far, I've cutout 6 hives this year. 2.5 survived.

2 absconded
1 was queenless and was recombined (Count that 1/2 a hive)
1 DOA - heat kill in vac.
2 survived.

I didn't know about using a queen excluder on a new cutout until late in the year. And having KTBHs, its more complicated.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Cutout Survival Rate for 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:21:24 pm »
I'm 8 for 8,  we'll I guess 7.5/8 using your math.  I didn't get the queen in one and had to re-queen them.  I usually don't have a problem getting them to survive the summer,  it's whether they build up strong enough for the winter that sometimes bites me.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:24:32 pm »
2 for 2 here, even thought the one is still in a five frame nuc and dragging their feet.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:19:02 am »
I only did one cutout and they are doing well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they build up in time for winter.
I actually learned from you posting about your mistake about leaving them in a vaccum too long so I was dumping them frequently as I went along.
Its a bummer when we screw up but I appreciate you being open about it because I learned from that.
Thank you.
I hope everyone's new hives build up well for winter and survive.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:11 am »
I don't have an actual percentage rate factored but I'm like Rob, almost all that don't abscond (which makes up a very small percentage) do just fine, its getting them through winter that's the key, usually if they don't make it, they didn't have proper feed or absconded cause of ants.

Now if I had to guess, I'd say survivability after the cut out, with them being strong, queenright, or having requeened, is very high, 95% at least.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 12:26:38 pm »
I am far from being qualified to be in the "in crowd" here, but I am glad to see this thread.  I have wondered about this.  I have done 6.  Four have done pretty well.  The other two succumbed due to my ineptitude.  I have learned from those mistakes, and I think my success rate will increase.

A combination of understanding the bees better, and acquiring a better quality vac system will help with this.   

Good luck to all of you...and thanks for the nuggets of wisdom you have imparted.  Much appreciated.
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 12:43:45 pm »
i think i'm in there with jp.  i'm not great at record keeping and i have not the experience he has, but i know i only lost one this year and i think only one last year.  they were iffy from the start. 

by the end of the year, i can't remember which hive is which and i'm not sure it matters after you swap brood and do a couple of combines.   :-D  someday i'll remember to write stuff down, or at least mark the hives as i go........

i do think it's one of those things that can only be really learned by doing.  all the instruction and watching is not the same as actually digging one out.  you begin to get a feel for it and that's more important than all the technical advice you can gather.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything