Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm NEW: at forums and apiculture  (Read 2227 times)

Offline bmgriffin

• Brood
I'm NEW: at forums and apiculture
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:08 pm »
Hello, I am college student studying botany. I am also an avid gardener and have been doing it for some years. I have recently been having issue getting some of my plants to produce fruit and I feel like the issue is lack of pollinators.

With this said, I am very interested in keeping bees. The problem is I have no idea where to start. There is an awful lot of information online but I find it difficult to get direct answers to some (probably very simple) questions that I have. I was wondering if I might join your group of bee keepers or if someone might help me with some questions I have concerning apiculture.Thank you for your consideration.

Also, I have already purchased a bee box. now what? how do i get the wax? should i get bees now? but its almost winter...

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: I'm NEW: at forums and apiculture
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 04:18:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum.  You can put where you are located, and find a local bee club.
There are losts of threads and videos here, also you can check out you tube.  There are also several other sites that I like.  Some are Beeclass.com(Beekeeping made
 easy), Basic beekeeping at Honeybeesonline.com., Backwards BeekeepingTV with Kirk Anderson on you tube and Bush farms.com/bees, others don't come to mind at the moment.  You didn't say which bee box you purchased, there are lots of different ones.  As you learn more you can decide which is best for you.  As for the bees don't need to get any before spring, you may have to book some before then.  Learn and decide where,what kind and who to get your bees from etc.  Good luck with your project, beekeeping is additive.  Ask any question that you can think of someone will try to answer it.

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 09:28:16 pm »
What school do you go to? (just so some of us can rag that school) and welcome to the forum. 

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 07:51:15 am »
And don't forget we are not here just to redirect elsewhere,the kind folks in our forum will gladly answer any questions you may have about beekeeping. :)

And putting your general location in your profile will generate some info more directed your your part of the world.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything