Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The World Impact Of The Bee Die-Off (NPR RADIO PROGRAM) AHB and CCD  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
https://soundcloud.com/onpointradio/the-world-impact-of-the-bee

Pretty interesting. If you have an hour ish to listen while you browse the forums, facebook or just sit back...
What are words for, when no one listens anymore.

Offline BAH

• House Bee
Re: The World Impact Of The Bee Die-Off (NPR RADIO PROGRAM) AHB and CCD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:12:50 am »
Checking it out now  :-D

Great listen thanks for the link. This may just help me in a study I am conducting  ;).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:01:27 am by BAH »

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 02:11:18 pm »
he says what i've always said.  migratory beekeeping is bad for bees.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:01 pm »
I'm not sure AHB are the answer. I think they have some benefits but I don't see them solving the crisis of commercial pollination. If statements are true that you can't keep 2 or more hive close together like you can EHB plus they won't be good travelers to Almond farms and then back to the other fields later on... Plus backyard bee keeping might slowly become a thing of the past if they take over and you live close to others... But Brazil seems to have an understanding and a living relationship with them so who knows...

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »
Also, (question)

Bee Weaver confirms AHB got into their stock but over time have been calming them down so maybe it's possible?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 05:03:22 pm »
i think we've been living with them more in the u.s. than we realize.  i've come across three swarms that i think at least had some ahb influence since 1999.  i've seen open comb hives which i had never seen up until around that time.  that was all in alabama and i'm not sure if or when any documented africanized bees were reported in alabama.  my bees now are from three very different locations but they all run on the comb more than the bees i worked with in the 70's and 80's they are all more easily agitated.  maybe the queen rearer we used had bees that were particularly gentle but there were a lot of feral bees back then and they were usually fairly easy to deal with too (except for the little black ones that you don't see anymore).  some of the videos i've seen on here and on youtube have bees that i wouldn't want to keep and i don't mind a few stings.  i'd agree that they won't help the commercial pollination industry but that industry is part of the problem so maybe it's time to change it anyway. 

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:57 pm »
If anyone hasn't seen this....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gstt3XlNXN4 (Nat Geo) attack of the killer bees
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:05:57 pm by Arkwood »

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:54:07 pm »
This hot colony I have came out of the woods last spring. The last  time I was in it I noticed more different size and color of bees than I have ever seen in one single hive. Going into their second year with me and haven't swarmed yet. I had one similar to it a few years back. It swarmed a couple times then I lost it along with several others. 2007 or about that. The year I lost 7 out of 12 colonies. I sent about 50 of those to UGA and Mr. Delaplane said they could not rule out AHB Genes 100%. So far, from the time I started Keeping bees, which was around 2000/2001 I have had better luck with bees that came out of the woods than the ones I purchased. But, this is the first year I have purchased anything more than a queen.  :) d2

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:57:12 am »
One of the recent bee mags...ABJ or BC....had an article on a harvest of some bees from open comb hive. The open comb hive location........CANADA. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:43:43 am »
This hot colony I have came out of the woods last spring. The last  time I was in it I noticed more different size and color of bees than I have ever seen in one single hive. Going into their second year with me and haven't swarmed yet. I had one similar to it a few years back. It swarmed a couple times then I lost it along with several others. 2007 or about that. The year I lost 7 out of 12 colonies. I sent about 50 of those to UGA and Mr. Delaplane said they could not rule out AHB Genes 100%. So far, from the time I started Keeping bees, which was around 2000/2001 I have had better luck with bees that came out of the woods than the ones I purchased. But, this is the first year I have purchased anything more than a queen.  :) d2
sounds like good genetic diversity to me.  the swarm i caught last month has a good mix and the workers should be emerging from some queens i raised by now.  i'm going to be curious to see how they are.  i have a high percentage of black drones in my hives all the time and i grafted from one of my italian queens that round.  i think most people would agree that feral bees do better over all.

Offline Arkwood

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:43 am »
http://www.pbs.org/saf/1204/features/bees3.htm This is a good read, they go into talk about lines (range of AHB) and more.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 11:11:38 pm »

Pretty interesting. If you have an hour ish to listen while you browse the forums, facebook or just sit back...

I don't know the guy is saying the bees being transported and he says all the bees do is feed on almonds then go somewhere else and feed only on whatever...but that isn't the way it is at all....merely because bees are put in say a almond orchard, doesn't mean that is all they are going to forage...of course if that is all there is available, then that is all there is available, but that would be all there would be available for any bee in that area also...so I'm not buying what he is attempting to say there frankly. granted I am not saying trucking and migrating hives is good for bees at all, in fact I am not sure it is at all for them nor for their home states when they are migrated back.

now spraying the pesticides is something serious obviously.....That is a given really...frankly any farm that sprayed while my bees were there, I'd tell them to get lost, most people should have it in the contract. $70 a hive or whatever, isn't worth losing them all imo.