Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brand Newbee  (Read 3533 times)

Offline jnjwhit

• Brood
Brand Newbee
« on: June 07, 2004, 10:11:12 pm »
:D I am very excited to find this site!!!! Just a few days ago, I aquired a colony of bees who are living in an old speaker box. The box is app 18" wide and deep and app 24" tall. Unfortunately some of the bees did not survive the moving of the box from the ballpark to my backyard flower garden. I am hoping someone can give me tips on how to transfer the colony from this speaker box to a real hive so I can properly care for them. Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks and God Bless, john.

Offline RebelRx

• New Bee
Brand Newbee
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:27:48 am »
I removed a hive yesterday from  an old refrigerator. They were going in 2 different holes on the back side of the refrigerator they were entering.  We opened the refrigerator that was laying on it's side. The comb was in a U shaped pattern in the ref. We cut the comb out. Almost all of the comb was honey. There were some newly hatched brood comb.  We put about 4 pieces of this in a new hive in empty frames with rubberbands.  Also transfered as many bees as we could. We placed the new box in front of the previous entrance's and taped them up.  I did'n find the queen upon removal of the comb but I finally found her on the outside of the refrigerator around the entrances in the fridg.  I put her in the box and closed the box up.  Most of the bees should find there way into the box.  I will go back and check them this afternoon after work and see how they are doing.  When transferring a ferrel hive I suggest a full bee suit.  Just open the box the easiest way possible. Try to salvage as much of the brood nest as you can.  Try to find the queen and transfer her to the new hive and place it where the box was about the same height.  Sometimes the bees stay sometimes the will swarm out of the box.  Also I will try to requeen my hive before fall.  Some people don't requeen to try and preserve the mite resistance of the ferrell hive. This late in the year I usually feed the hive pretty heavily to help it build up for the winter.

Offline beeginer

• New Bee
Brand Newbee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:12:52 am »
http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=525&highlight=comb+piece

Hope that I posted the url correctly, this link has some good pics on how to attach the comb to frames.  Start reading at Robo's 2nd post.  Hope that it helps.

anything