Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another Box ?  (Read 4706 times)

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
Another Box ?
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:33:52 am »
Hi All,
        I have a hive that has to be my best its huge and very busy, about 2 weeks ago i put a 3rd (8 frame) super on it as
it looked like the girls where running out of room.
I inspected it today and the 3rd box is nearly full of honey and a small amount of brood in the center frame, i thought i had better see the
status of the 2 boxes underneath as sometimes the top can be full but the bottom empty. no cigar.... both boxes were full, mainly brood a little honey around the sides and some pollen stores.
No signs of queen cells i requeened this one last season, my question is , do i put a 4th box on ? the honey isnt capped yet so i cant rob it, and how many boxes high can one go? re Neil

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
Re: Another Box ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »
I don't know what the answer is, but I am jealous  :lol: Still to cold and wet in the Otways to have much coming in.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:01 pm »
are you feeding, or are they bringing stuff in?  do you think they have enough stored for winter?  are all your boxes 8 frame and what size are they?

edit:  i see you are from downunder.  sorry about that.  i'd say add another box for sure.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:02:48 pm »
Keep an empty on if there is a flow on.   

Offline Birdswood

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:55:29 am »
I agree...it appears that your girls are in the midst of a flow, so give them another box to fill.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:25 am »
I agree...it appears that your girls are in the midst of a flow, so give them another box to fill.

Awesome, i might actually get some honey this year! just waxed up 2 more boxes ill pop another one on tommorow
then,how high can you go?

Offline Hyper.Intelligent.Fish

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:23 am »

Awesome, i might actually get some honey this year! just waxed up 2 more boxes ill pop another one on tommorow

I'm assuming you're using full boxes rather than half sized. If so four boxes high would probably be the maximum IMHO. Anything higher would make harvesting and access to the top box an issue without a step or a ladder.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:32 pm »
issue without a step or a ladder

and that sucks  :-D  watch the honey supers and pull them when they are capped as long as you have a flow on.  you can either extract, or save some of them to make sure the bees have enough though the year.  i like to freeze them when i save them because it keeps the bugs and stuff out. 

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 07:54:14 am »

I'm assuming you're using full boxes rather than half sized. If so four boxes high would probably be the maximum IMHO. Anything higher would make harvesting and access to the top box an issue without a step or a ladder.

Yep full depth 8 frame

anything