Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this a Queen cell?  (Read 4326 times)

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Is this a Queen cell?
« on: June 19, 2009, 02:07:06 pm »
What do you think?  Is it a queen cell?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Is this a Queen cell?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:10:52 pm »
Hard to tell, but if I have to guess, I would say no. From this angle it does not look like one.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:25 pm »
I vote no!!! May be a cup?
John 3:16

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:12 pm »
I have seen things like that occasionally in my hives, but they never amount to anything.

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:25:30 pm »
No.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 02:34:08 pm »
I would say no also.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:37:15 pm »
You're all bumming me out with your negativity, but I'm betting you're right.  And I was all prepared with a nuc all set up and everything. If you said yes I was heading right back down there and dig it back out.

Anyway, thanks.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:45:27 pm »
When you see the queen cell, it is likely you won't be questioning it.  It will likely be that different and usually there are multiple. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 02:48:10 pm »
Looks like a queen cup to me.  Was there a larvae in it?   You'll find cups quite often,  but until you see a larvae in it, it is there just in case.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 02:54:38 pm »
are you wanting to make a split?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 03:57:08 pm »
It is a queen cup. These are queen cells.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »
It is a queen cup.  If it has a larvae in it, then it's a queen cell.  If not, then it is just a queen cup.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 12:06:47 am »
are you wanting to make a split?

G3

I would like to, and my (1) hive population and activity seem to be really picking up so I went into this inspection ready to do so if I found something that made it seem like a good time.  But I didn't really, so I guess I'll wait for now.  Anyway, I've got a place to put it all ready if I get the opportunity to do one.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 12:18:07 am »
Looks like a queen cup to me.  Was there a larvae in it?   You'll find cups quite often,  but until you see a larvae in it, it is there just in case.

I don't know if there is a larva in it or not.  I didn't spot it while I was doing the inspection, only later when I was looking at the pictures that my wife took.  Then when I reexamined all of the pictures I didn't spot any more so I'm thinking that a swarm isn't likely any time soon (I'm feeding but it's a new package and not crowded)  If it does have a larva, It should still be there in a week shouldn't it? Or will the queen (which I did find) kill it?  It's in the bottom box and I don't want to disrupt them again right away just to check unless there is a good reason.

The colony seems healthy and has plenty of stores and lots of brood, so If this did turn out to be a queen cell it would have a good chance to make a good queen wouldn't it?  I'm not getting my hopes up, just trying to be prepared in case opportunity arises.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 12:31:52 am »
That is a cup the bees decided not to use, even if a larvae was present its probably dead. Its way to small to be any good. I pulled one apart like that not too long ago and it was just a bunch of wax, a cup that was sealed over.

Now if they needed it, they could open it back up and draw it out at a later date.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 01:13:28 am »
That is a cup the bees decided not to use, even if a larvae was present its probably dead. Its way to small to be any good. I pulled one apart like that not too long ago and it was just a bunch of wax, a cup that was sealed over.

Now if they needed it, they could open it back up and draw it out at a later date.

...JP

Good information.  Nice fish.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 01:20:17 am »
Not to go off topic but I ate red snapper last night, for lunch today and dinner tonight! Baked and stuffed with onions, shrimp and Italian bread crumbs, killer!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 07:41:35 am »

I don't know if there is a larva in it or not.  I didn't spot it while I was doing the inspection, only later when I was looking at the pictures that my wife took.  Then when I reexamined all of the pictures I didn't spot any more so I'm thinking that a swarm isn't likely any time soon (I'm feeding but it's a new package and not crowded)  If it does have a larva, It should still be there in a week shouldn't it? Or will the queen (which I did find) kill it?  It's in the bottom box and I don't want to disrupt them again right away just to check unless there is a good reason.

The colony seems healthy and has plenty of stores and lots of brood, so If this did turn out to be a queen cell it would have a good chance to make a good queen wouldn't it?  I'm not getting my hopes up, just trying to be prepared in case opportunity arises.

My bet is it is empty, but if it does have an egg/larvae it is very young and would still be there in a week and be drawn out to a queen cell by then.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:37:49 am »
Not to go off topic but I ate red snapper last night, for lunch today and dinner tonight! Baked and stuffed with onions, shrimp and Italian bread crumbs, killer!

...JP

Man, Eatin' and fishin' ain't never all that off topic.

Offline beedad

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 09:35:05 pm »
i seem to have cups around all the time but usually they never get used.