Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New beekeeper  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Ed

• New Bee
New beekeeper
« on: September 13, 2013, 05:34:55 am »
Almost a year ago some bees decided they wanted to live in my backyard. After paying a removal company to get rid of them another group of bees showed up. I decided to pay for housing them instead of paying again for removal. Now I am up to twelve hives and just harvested about 60 pounds of honey. What do you experienced beekeepers recommend for a water source?

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
Re: New beekeeper
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:28:18 am »
Rain
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:33:29 am »
mother nature.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 10:29:14 am »
I have a pond down the hill from the bees, about 125 yards.  Just me, but I give them a couple of buckets of water with Styrofoam piece in each, close to the hives. 

Joe

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:23:00 pm »
They really love my pool. Grand kids keep cups near the edge to get them out while the are it it because even after cleaning every one of them out before getting in they still end up swimming with them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Moots

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:40:44 pm »
Ed,
Welcome to the forum...
Here's a link from a previous forum thread on this subject!

Per the advice of Bailey, who happens to be who I got my first bees from, I went with a half of a plastic barrel with some oyster shells in the bottom.  The sliced up pool noodles seem to work quite well also.  I also tossed a few gold fish in the mix to eat all the mosquito larva. It's been working great for me and my bees.  :)

Offline Ed

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 05:07:47 pm »
Ed,
Welcome to the forum...

Per the advice of Bailey, who happens to be who I got my first bees from, I went with a half of a plastic barrel with some oyster shells in the bottom.  The sliced up pool noodles seem to work quite well also.  I also tossed a few gold fish in the mix to eat all the mosquito larva. It's been working great for me and my bees.  :)

Thanks Moots. The thread on Bee Water is helpful. I tried a 5 gallon bucket with water hyacinths but haven't got any takers. There is a river about 1/2 mile from my house. I just hope my neighbors are getting hammered with bees.

Moots

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:27:38 pm »
Ed,
It seemed like my barrel got little or no takers for weeks, if not months.  But once the heat of summer rolled in, they started wearing it out.  I know the bees are hard to figure out at times, but I just can't imagine them opting for a river 1/2 mile away if you give them a viable option within 10 to 15 feet.   :)

The half barrel really works well, I can leave it for extend periods without worrying about the water level.  One of the most important things concerning a water source for bees it that it be dependable and constantly available.  It's my understanding that they will sacrifice convenience for reliability.  :)

Good Luck! 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 04:02:34 pm »
Welcome.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.