Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The pipping began  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The pipping began
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:29 am »
At 2:00 PM yesterday, the first few pips in the incubator began.  That was 21 days, minus two hours.  Clearly to define.  21 days ago at 4:00 I placed the eggs in the incubator.  At 2:00 PM, 21 days later I saw the first pip, and then more and then more.  By 8:00 PM when I put the barnyard feathered critters to bed, the peepers had not hatched out.  It is now 7:00 A.M. the following morning.  I know I am in for a delight, heading out to let out the barnyard feathered critters and I KNOW I will see many chicks out of their shells.  They will stay in there today, tomorrow morning, they will head out to their new home that Ken and I made for them yesterday.  Pictures of this new house will come, as well as the pictures of the little babies that will be thrilled to live their.  The two month old Cochins, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Speckled Sussex and the Australorpes will be thrilled.  Their house has been split in half.  They will be able to see all their newly found playmates because their wall is made of poultry wire and they will see the babies.  Heading off now to check the new babies.  I will tell you what I see......beautiful days, to love and live, to share, to enjoy, beautiful health wishes for us all, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: The pipping began
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:01:41 pm »
lets hope for the best. I have 18 left in the bato that should hatch on the 29th. buddy of mine gave me 32 eggs and 14 were not fertile. Need to candle these again, but two or three are soooo dark you can not even see in them. The shell is a chocolate brown, not sure what they are out of.

Good luck with your peeps and we need pics.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:20 pm »
Good luck with the hatch Cindi!

G3 those dark chocolate eggs are most likely marans.
There are several types of marans, I have cuckoo marans who lay a fairly dark egg and then I have
black copper marans that lay what is called a chocolate egg.
Very Very dark with a reddish tint.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 07:59:03 pm »
Natalie, I have the black marans this year, can't wait for the eggs, sometime in July!  It's fun to see a bunch of different colors & customers love it too!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:15 pm »
thanks Natalie, for the info on the eggs. These are so dark I can not even candle them, I hope they are fertile. I don't need any exploders!! These don't have any red tint to them at all. We will see.

Well Cindi how is the hatch coming along?? don't keep us waiting.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 01:24:04 am »
Hug, no more new replies, smiling, what's up you guys, aren't you interested?  OK, I'll tell my secret, smiling.  I had 90 or so eggs that went into the final last 3 days of incubation, in the hatching tray where they are not turned.

Believe this or not, this morning 56 babies went over to the brooding area, it has been beautifully set up.  That is me.

All day long, there has been more and more hatching, all seem really well, they are staying in the incubator all night, until tomorrow morning, I will move them over to their brooding area pals.  I am enthralled.

I have 15 hatched, as of 7:00 PM, and they are remaining in the incubator until tomorrow morning -- and there are still more pipping, two are almost out of their shell.  I am burned out from watching, wishing, hoping all is well.  I have adhered to rules about opening the door, putting in the warm, moist cloth, I have also sprayed warm water if I open the door.  It has paid off.  All the wonderful advice that I have been listening to, and the research I have been doing.

So the math

56 in the brooding area
15 hatched
2 more almost hatched
maybe 5 more to come

there was originally 90 eggs that I thought were going to be born

How many is that?  Help me here, smiling.....

I think there will be about 5 more babies by morning.  All will be moved to the brooding area, perhaps the last of the eggs will not be viable, and they will have to bite the dust.

My math is awful (due to a drink of red wine, with that celebration of a long days work) smiling,  :-X. 

Beautiful days, to share, to live, to love, with people that care, people that are loved, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline irekkin

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 05:22:01 am »
hey there,
I've got a couple of cheap styrofoam incubators that I've used off and on for the last five years. I've probably hatched out several hundred chicks. alittle bit of everything, chickens, turkeys, guineas. it's one of my favorite things to do. i have a couple of moveable pens that i "pasture" my laying hens in. as soon as it gets drier and warmer i plan to start hatching some chicks. right now i raise auracanas, pretty birds, nice blue and green eggs.
when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:05:22 am »
Cindi not one picture yet  :? bring it on  :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 01:02:40 pm »
Well, that's it.  The hatch is done, the babies are lovin' life, what a job, smiling.  I have been tending to these little dudes like nothing on this earth.  I am rather odd when it comes to nurturing, I need to nurture things, and little babies are one, these are my babies.

There is an amazing diversity of looks with these guys.

There is (here we go again, math, smiling).

56 first move over from the incubator
18 second move over from the incubator
1 last move over, yes, this one took its time, but it is strong and healthy

25 did not make it.

75 little chicks, all in a row

Enjoy the pictures, my work is going to get more and more and more as these little dudes grow.

I sold two yesterday, I am charging $4 each.

One almost drowned.  No clue how on earth it fell in the waterer that is not any deeper than 3/4 of an inch.  But it should thank its lucky stars that I caught it in time.  I picked it up out of the water, held it in a towel, it held its mouth open a bit for a bit and then it was warmed up, dry and back to its pals it went.  It is still good.

The entranceway to the lungs is a small hole at the base of the bird's tongue, guess some water got in there, but not enough to aspirate, thankin' my lucky stars.  Enjoy the pictures.  AND, have that most awesomely great day, to love and live this great life we all have an opportunity to live, health.  Cindi

Ah, life on the farm, wouldn't trade it for pretty darn near anything in the world

I have another rack in the incubator.  THey will hatch in about 11 days.

This hatch will be composed of:

Polish (the ones with the funny feathers on their heads)
Araucanas
Black Jersey Giants
And a couple of my RIR crossed with Jackson, I had to use some of my eggs to fill the last tray (he is a Crele Maran Penedesenca), you'll recall his picture I would imagine, smiling

Well, actually I'll show you Jackson again, he is a magnificent dude

I got these eggs from a chicken sista, she worked hard to get me these (oh no, math again, smiling)

3 trays X about 22-24 per tray, (only one rack) depending upon the size of egg

Lets go 22, that is an easier number, smiling

Oh, that was easy, 66, hee, hee

Jackson:

Oh, something that I wanted to show.  The Light Brahma chicken breed is thought to be a cross between a Cochin and a Malay.

Get a load of this picture of what a Malay bird looks like:

Hard to imagine that this beautiful bird, Ivan, my Light Brahma rooster, could have any of this lineage in him, but that is what I have read, well, just bust my britches!!!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 01:10:49 pm »
Thank's for posting the picture's Cindi I really like the baby chick's and you got some cool looking roster's
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:26:37 pm »
that sure is a bunch of chicks, and they look good too.

That Jackson is one good looking roo, I love his coloring.

good save on the drowning chick there mama  :-D

G3

and thanks for the pics

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 12:43:46 pm »
Congratulations on the hatch Cindi! Great job.
I love when they are this age, so cute and fluffy.
I put small stones in the waterer to keep them from drowning. When there is alot of chicks in one brooder they get pushed and shoved alot and some get knocked into the waterer.
After they hatch you are suppose to dip each chick's beak into the waterer so they know to drink but even then some have an issue with going to the waterer.
Someone told me to put colored marbles in there instead of rocks and they would be more attracted to the water.
Just a tidbit of info in case the need ever arises.
Do you have more than one light in the brooder?
When there are alot of chicks and they start vying for the best position under the light some of them get suffocated so if you have a second light they can divide up.
You probably already know this stuff but just in case.
Good luck on all those babies, you should be able to sell them all off quickly.
Chicks seem to be in high demand right now.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 01:11:02 pm »
Natalie, I value you advice, always bring it on.  AND...don't worry about me possibly already knowing something, if I do, so what.  I am always looking to improve myself, things I do and every little bit of advice is worth its weight in gold.

Thank you, I will go this morning and put another light in the brooder.  You are 100% correct, they do all crowd around that one light and look rather tightly squished.  Just never put a thought to that, I agree.....I will also go and get some large pebbles to put in that waterer.  I think that I will put another water font in there too.....never can hurt to have lots of water access.  I have two feeders, one on each side of the brooder, why not have two water fonts.  Just never thing of these extra things, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am also going to raise their feeders up on some bricks, that would be about 2 inches, they will still be able to reach the food in the feeders, but they are kicking shavings into the food and that can't be a good thing, having to get food between the shavings, and I am worried that they might eat some, that would be bad.  Already had one barred rock pullet that had a impacted crop (my bad, learned a lesson those days).  I don't give them any grass that is loose now, only great deep chunks that they have to pick off little bits at a time.  Sad things sometimes.

Yesterday, one of the Cochins knocked down their brood guard "fence", I forgot to close their little mesh door.  Two of the little peepers were over in the two month old baby side.  Peeping and peeping.  They looked so lonely all scrunched up, just the two of them.  They were not chilled.  It is really warm out now during the day, but they sure did run fast to get back to their brooder buddies.  Yes, they are so ding dang cute, little bobble heads, with not much brain within.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, and health and life.  Cindi

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:02:01 pm »
You are welcome Cindi, I just didn't want to offend you with unsolicited advice but I am always glad to help.
I am so glad everything worked out so well for you on this hatch.