Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One weak hive, One not as weak  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
One weak hive, One not as weak
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:15:15 pm »
 After 3 weeks of freezing and subfreezing weather, it hit 50 today. I decided to take to opportunity to remove the top box off one of my hives that was only partly filled. It had two full frames of honey, One frame about half full and the rest were frames of drawn empty comb or partial drawn empty comb.
 Both hives are not one deep and one medium with honey. When I pulled the top box I noticed the bees were clustered in the next box down. Unless it's a huge cluster that reaches into the deep, I'm assuming that they didn't pull honey down into the brood box. If that's the case, it looks like they'll go through their honey by the end of the month and I'll be out there feeding them for the rest of the winter.
 I'm also thinking that if there are no bees or honey in the deep, I could pull it and let the bees winter over in a single medium, since I want to get rid of the deep anyways in spring.
 I decided to put the frames of honey into the second hive, which was already just a deep and a medium. I pulled the cover and there was just a few bees hanging around. I took out two empty frames and saw a handful of dead bees in the corner on top of the deep frames. When I pulled the next two frames, I found the cluster in the deep, which is what I was expecting to see in the first hive.
 I put the three frames of honey in and closed them up and am now pondering on what to do. Tomorrow will be slightly colder and then it's downhill from there as far as the weather is concerned.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: One weak hive, One not as weak
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:10 pm »
None of this makes any sense to me.  Adding empty frames and even full frames.  Full frames should have been added a month or more age. Reducing a colony in Dec to one med????????????   

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 09:02:26 pm »
None of this makes any sense to me.  Adding empty frames and even full frames.  Full frames should have been added a month or more age. Reducing a colony in Dec to one med????????????   
They were still gathering last month. Then the temps dropped and stayed in the 30s and 20s except one day that rained. The top box that had the three frames of honey, they started pulling the honey down so I waited a week and they started filling it back up. I didn't want to go in during the cold snap and today seemed like the best day to pull that top box off. Now that I know that the cluster is in the medium, I figure that I should check the deep. If it's empty and no honey, why force the extra room on the bees to keep heated?

Just my thought on it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will let me know.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 10:02:48 pm »
Its to late to start messing around with pushing them down or up or what ever.  Its winter so start thinking about emergency feeding like candy boards if they need food

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:24:55 pm »
I think it is very late to mess around with re-arranging frames and boxes. Usually the bees size the cluster to the available resources. I would add a candy board or a winter patty to the hive in the medium.

anything