Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Interesting find - Popular Science - May 1945  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Rex Smith

• House Bee
    • Harmony Hollow Apiary
Interesting find - Popular Science - May 1945
« on: February 14, 2013, 12:15:15 am »
This evening I was searching for pollen trap plans (and I'm still looking) - and came across a Google Books 1945 issue of Popular Science. 

They had an article on pollen traps... the article following the was interesting, though...  it touted the great benefits of DDT and the many uses for it around the house, and that it was thought to be safe to use as a flea/tick dip for dogs...

Moots

Re: Interesting find - Popular Science - May 1945
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:01 am »
Scary....Our bee club showed a movie on CCD a couple of months ago.  It was discussing the history of pesticides and had some old promotional video of them spraying DDT and touting the health benefits of it.  Pretty Crazy!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 11:00:20 am »
When I was a kid DDT was going to eradicate moquitoes and flies etc....
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:42 am »
I found an old bag of DDT in my father's shop a couple of years ago. I called the fire dept. to find out how to get rid of it and they sent out an entire haz-mat team to take it away...full suits and all! I can remember spreading the stuff around the property by hand.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:26:55 am »
WE had one of the old hand cranked dusters.  It held a good bit, had a rope for a strap over your shoulder.  You walked around and cranked the handle, it blew out the pipe.  Also had a garden duster that held about a quart.  Yeap, they used to call it cotton dust.

Joe

Moots

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:31:59 am »
Yeah, I love to reference examples like this when people claim man made global warming and defend their stance with "the scientist can't be wrong" mentality!  :) 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:58:41 am »
There were much more dangerous things in old times than DDT.

Nuclear radiation was not a problem. They did not knew what it makes. That is why they put hunders of soldiers to walk in atom bomb radiation to see it.

Personal DDT

On January 27, 1951, the first atomic bomb test was conducted at the Nevada Test Site in the remote desert north of Las Vegas.

Soldier department under radiation test

This historic photo is one in a yearlong series commemorating the 100th anniversary of Clark County.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 08:33:33 pm »
DDT was a very affective insecticide world wide. It was used to control mosquitoes that spread  malaria. A book was published suggesting that DDT was harmful to the earth. The book Silent Spring by Rachel Carson [1962] caused DDT to be banned and millions of people around the world died from malaria because of that book. And are still dying by the millions in these times because nothing has been found that could control mosquitoes like DDT.
 The whole deal was the beginning of the save the world type movements. Movements based on emotion and part truths not base on intelect.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:43:50 pm by sterling »

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:39:02 pm »
Wasn't DDT found to be the cause of thinning egg shells in american bald eagles and california condors too?

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:47:53 pm »
Wasn't DDT found to be the cause of thinning egg shells in american bald eagles and california condors too?

Scott

Probably just like Global Warming caused that hurricane Sandy and the big snow storm the hit the liberal east the other day.

Moots

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »

Scott

Scott,
Not sure about those two, but it's what almost wiped out the brown Pelican. The egg shells were too fragile and were all cracking...When they tested them, the DDT level was off the chart. When I was growing up, a brown Pelican was a rare spotting, now they're a dime a dozen.  :)

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 11:44:17 am »
> Movements based on emotion and part truths not base on intelect.

The world is full of such things.  People feel they have to do something even if it's wrong.  But spraying for mosquitoes does not make less mosquitoes.  It makes less mosquito predators, which in the end makes MORE mosquitoes.  If we had not outlawed DDT we would have no more bald eagles, no more ospreys. no more brown Pelicans, no more hawks... and far more mice and rabbets than the world could handle since their predators would be gone. 
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »
Its been a while sense I was on here.

DDT is one of my pet peeves.

Did you know that ddt was so none toxic to humans that you could drink a glass of it with no know side effect. Now with that said go to the next home depot and have a glass of any of the pesticides on the shelf your pick which one and I will send flowers to your funeral.

How the malaria fight went is its a parasite that lives in humans from my understanding as long as you could keep misquotes numbers down and keep people from getting the parasite you would kill it off in a area. Malaria was common in the area I live right now the Mississippi delta till the 1950 DDT malaria crusade. We pushed that bug almost completely off the face of the earth. Out the USA down threw Mexico and out south America out it was left in central America and Africa and Asia they almost had it out of India. Then we band DDT and the funding for the project and people died like flies the next year. I am sure the kids of the farmer in India that watched their mother and father die the next year cried because of that bald eagle or brown pelican. Well lets tie today in this for fun right now there are like a gazillion people in India the world health organizations have linked child survival rates directly to population decrease so if you can keep your kids from dieing there seems to be no reason to have 20 children but to a poor 3rd world-er who doesn't know if out of 20 kids 3 will make it to adulthood they keep having 20.

Now would you like to talk about the nasty crap we replaced DDT with all the other chemical that have shelf live of forever that was the next great thing to ddt but were just as toxic to man as it was the bugs. That have sense been banded for the very reason.

I am not saying it wasn't over used grand-maw didn't need that crude under her sink for roaches but maybe regulation and not banning would have been smarter. Limiting the usage hey like we do the chemicals today.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 07:15:48 pm »
So then I guess we saved the eagles, pelicans, condors, ospreys and all the other preditors. :) So what if a few million people died we still have to many of them around anyway.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 09:30:53 am »
When I was a kid DDT was going to eradicate moquitoes and flies etc....

Yeah, as a kid I remember running behind the mosquito fogging truck with all the other kids on the block. I grew up as a USMC brat. On Camp Lejeune the marines hated bugs. :-D  I guess that explanes a lot.
Later,
Ray

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2022, 11:48:31 pm »
 I was looking into Pollen trap building and ran across this. A blast from the past. I thought some of you might enjoy this so I am bumping it.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.