Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lang to Long  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
Lang to Long
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
I am nearing completion of my first long hive, it is big enough to hold 40 frames if needed, but I have a follower board to limit space to only what is needed. I have a few questions.

1. Is there a time of year that would be better to move the bees from one of my Langs, or can I do it now.
2. I am planning on setting the long up within a few feet of where the original Lang is/was. What do I need to do so the bees will orient to their new home?
3. Anything else I need to consider?

Any input would be appreciated.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Lang to Long
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:09 pm »
Is your long hive a TBH or a long hive using lang frames or a TBH with angled side frames.  Need more info.

Joe

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 11:23:58 pm »
It will hold up to 40 deep frames if needed. Planning to take the frames straight out of the lang and put them into the long.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:56:40 pm »
I would think that you could do the switch most anytime.  Will it be where you can add a super if needed, if you have an extractor then you could keep the amount of frames needed down.  One thing about a long hive and the follower board ( I have a TBH) is my follower board fits pretty good but a few bees and SHB's will get on the back side.  Good luck with your project.  There's probably other things I haven't thought of also.

Joe

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 10:49:10 pm »
I would think that you could do the switch most anytime.  Will it be where you can add a super if needed, if you have an extractor then you could keep the amount of frames needed down.  One thing about a long hive and the follower board ( I have a TBH) is my follower board fits pretty good but a few bees and SHB's will get on the back side.  Good luck with your project.  There's probably other things I haven't thought of also.

Joe

I think the idea is to not need to put supers on it, for that defeats the purpose of going long.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:54 am »
I've used a LONG Hive w/ a mix of Langs for several years now.  Its the best of both worlds IMO.  I like them both and only use mediums (supers/frames).  My current Long Hive colony (a 2011-12 winter survivor) has swarmed twice this season, both were caught and all three are booming right along with my other hives.

For me, the best part of having both types is the flexibility it offers to the beekeeper.

I use follower boards as well, with a 1/4 " hole drilled into them which can be blocked, to place feed on the other side.  Must make them tight fitting to prevent bees from entering but you always loose a few. 

Have fun with your LONG Hive, they can be a joy to work, just different.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:07:12 am »
I plan to use deeps mainly so I can start switching my standard langs over to meds. I have access to an extractor, and do not plan to super the long hive. Seems like that kind of defeats my purpose. I have decided to shorten it to only hold 30 frames,

Thanks for the input.
Ernest Hemingway