Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Silly Bees!  (Read 1437 times)

Offline ctsoth

• House Bee
Silly Bees!
« on: May 03, 2007, 12:42:27 am »
Well, all of my queens were accepted this year.  I even combined two, two pound packages and the queen was accepted.  I still have the spare in case I do a split or a queen dies or whatever.  So, so far this year everything in my bee yard is going wonderfully!

The reason that I have made this post though, is that I was watching my bees for a bit the other day I saw a bee fly back to the hive with a HUGE amount of pollen stored on its legs.  Far more than I have seen on any of my bees ever, and it was a delightful sight because the bee fell on its back at the opening of the hive and watching it attempt to right itself with such large pollen baskets was really an amusing sight.... 

Just thought I would share my bee yard humor...... 

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
Re: Silly Bees!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:10:47 am »
A couple years back, someone showed me a video of bees flying in and out of a hive in slow motion.  They were definately not as graceful as they appear to be at real-life speed.  :shock:

Mark

Offline smallswarm

• New Bee
Re: Silly Bees!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:57:02 am »
Honey bees are funny! Something that always makes me smile, a bee will wander over the backs of other workers on the comb, and she will periodically stop and start vibrating her abdomen violently while the worker she has mounted patiently endures it. Reminds me of the dance, but in stationary form, without the figure eight circling, a bit like Irish step dancing. What in the world is that? My best guess is that she is distributing pheromones.