Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why not a horizontal Langstroth?  (Read 23392 times)

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: Why not a horizontal Langstroth?
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:53 pm »
Well either way you go, the bees build their own wax. a foundation is just the start the bees then draw it out themselves. often people, like myself will use a starter strip. but I am even moving away from that. I would personally use one frame of foundation though at least for the start. this will hopefully and usually get the bees to building straight there after.

Offline ripplecreek

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2015, 04:29:16 pm »
Hear is my Horizontal Langstroth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkBGeAwvhk

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2015, 04:45:08 pm »
ripplecreek
  Nice video and nice work on the hive. 
  And welcome to the forum.

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:30 am »
That is nice ripplecreek!

I was just thinking about this. I like the idea of a TBH but I also like the idea of using all 8 frame mediums and being able to intermix frames from different hives. I'm gonna put my hubby onto this project for when I (hopefully) split next year.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2015, 05:06:07 am »
I've been running Long Hives using standard frames (British National rather than Langstroth, but same principle) for some time now - it's a very sensible solution, imo.

But - it doesn't have to be Top Bars or Frames - there's a 3rd option: "Framed Top Bars" - i.e. solid Top Bars (as per the 'standard' top bar hive, without any gaps between them), with a frame fixed beneath. I made a few dozen of these a while back to fit a 12" deep Long Hive - which then allowed me to run several strands of fishing line across the frame to support the longer comb, and duly posted about this idea on a certain 'Barefoot' site - which went down like the proverbial lead balloon.

But - the bees are loving the larger combs which such frames allow, and the interchangability of these frames with my conventional hives is the only sensible way of running an apiary - imo, of course.

LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:16 pm »
Hear is my Horizontal Langstroth https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlkBGeAwvhk

I just love this hive and wish I could find a hive like this to purchase.  I love how you thought of every little thing. Ventilation, bee space, bee escape on top, etc.  It really makes sense to me and with my bad back, this would be perfect. No heavy lifting.

I cant wait to see how the bees do in this hive.  Please keep us posted

Annette

Offline shoshannama

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 12:39:31 am »
why would anyone want to go with a TBH, instead of for instance a horizontal One would have frames, "which we should all agree supports the comb better, helps prevent  them attaching comb to the sides/etc."

Should we all agree on that? I use TBH's and the comb has no problems being supported, though sometimes the bee keeper does not know how to hold them correctly.  The bees do a great job at supporting them, and because of the angle I have no side attachments.  Just have to wiggle the propolis on the top bar loose.

I would love to try a long lang, though I live in shb territory so keeping those top bars tight really helps.  We try to no give them any undefended space to enter.

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 09:45:11 pm »
OK I just noticed this thread. I built a top bar hive thinking I would try it. But I had read Michael Bush's book and realized that the problem with TBHs is standardization. I wanted to be able to move comb from one hive to another. I also wanted to leave options open if I didn't like it. So the easy solution was to take a 3, 1"x10"x8's (rough cut) cut 2 in half (46"... If you make them longer a 4x8 sheet of plywood wont work.) Cut one corner out for sides. Then the last one cut 4 ends. Then you can use a 4x8 sheet of plywood to make a top and bottom. That will get 2 4' deep hives. Quick, easy solution. I decided to use full frames not because I held them wrong but because I had comb attached to the sides. The bars were propolized and prying them apart when the comb was stuck to the sides didn't work for me. But because I made them to fit standard frames it is not a problem.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin