Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rescuing bees in a cut section of tree  (Read 7176 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: Rescuing bees in a cut section of tree
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 11:10:28 am »
Thanks, Robo - I put a combo of drawn comb and frames in the box above the hole which is about 1/2 inch bigger all around than the tree hole and I put a baggie of 2:1 sugar syrup on the top.  We'll see - maybe they'll move up and maybe they won't but I'm giving them the best chance I can.  I'll post pictures of setting the box up later.  The bees were all clustered at the hole and using it as a top entrance.

I called Iddee because the box was slanted side to side and I didn't think that would work.  He said it needed, if it had to slant to be slanted front to back.  Simple fix - I turned the box 90 degrees and now it slants with the back lower than the front by about 3/4 "

We'll see what happens.

Linda T hopeful in Atlanta

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »
Another question:  Should I prop the top of the hive box that I put on the tree?

The bees were already using the opened top as a top entrance and now with the hive box over the hole and the top covered they no longer have the opportunity to do that.  One thought would be that opening the top of the box would allow them to move on up through the box I provided if they want the top entrance!

Or would propping the top encourage robbing since I have a baggie of sugar syrup under the cover (which is an inverted bottom board and not an inner cover and telescoping cover?

LInda T in Atlanta who now wishes she had a pickup truck!!!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »
iddee will no doubt give you a better answer later, but i would say no if they have the original entrance.  you want them to move up and live there, not just track through on the way out the door. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:56 pm »
I don't know a better answer than that....

Yes,I think it would start robbing from other hives.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*