Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Genetics?  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Genetics?
« on: March 07, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »
With this new hive that I obtained I was wondering who would I contact to find out what type of bee they actually are. I know all species can be hott headed but these are taking the cake. Im not saying they are AHB because the last report showed the AHB was in southern Ok. I know there is a college in northern Colorado that speciallizes in animals. Quite a few students come to the gamebird farm and take blood samples from the different birds. Do you think they woudl do the same for bees?

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Genetics?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:43:07 pm »
In a hurry to have your area declared AHB territory?

A hot hive is a hot hive. Requeen, and let it go... :roll:

AHB do not just expand their territory by the way nature intended. They also hop the back of trucks.. ;)

The least amount of news headlines, researchers, and everyone else, finding out about AHB in some new, never realized area, the better.

Do yourself a favor and just requeen. You'll be better off in the long run.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:59:15 pm »
No Im not trying to put a scare into the community. The guy I went with to get the hive said these are "North American Bees." To me they look like my Itilian bees. I guess that is what I was trying to get at. As for finding someone to test the bee was a different thing in mind. Like I said the students help out the bird farm by getting a certificate saying his birds are disease free and especially bird flu free. If something would happen and he is still taking part of the test the goverment woudl reimburse him if the birds had to be put down. I figure if they would do that with the bees and monitor them if something would happen I would not be out as much. I guess I should have explained all this in the first thread. Sorry. Oh yea, I will re-queen!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:00:15 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 07:10:06 pm »
>I figure if they would do that with the bees and monitor them if something would happen I would not be out as much.

What Government and they would say what bees :-D?

John 3:16