Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screened Bottom Board  (Read 2635 times)

Offline ivashka

• House Bee
  • Hi from Colorado
Screened Bottom Board
« on: October 21, 2009, 08:22:49 pm »
I live in Colorado and in the summer it goes above 100 degrees when in the winter it can go below Zero.  Is it good idea to put screened bottom board?
Thanks Art

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Screened Bottom Board
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »
It's a personal preference.  Beekeepers survived 100s of years without SBB.  You will find some that can't live without them now and some like myself that tried them and went back to solids.   You will find some in almost every climate that claim success with leaving them open all year round, and others that close them off during the winter.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Joelel

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:10:27 pm »
I live in Colorado and in the summer it goes above 100 degrees when in the winter it can go below Zero.  Is it good idea to put screened bottom board?

Yes,In the summer they won't have to carry as much water to cool the brood.
Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation

Offline irekkin

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:39:17 pm »
i just started using sbb this year. they really seemed to help with the ventilation and cooling this summer,very little to no bearding. if you use the type that have a removable board under the screen ( sticky board) it' s great for mite control/getting mite counts. if nothing else they help keep hive thrash from building up. i plan to close them off in the winter. :yippiechick: :yippiechick:
when you're dumb, ya gotta be tough.

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 10:02:40 pm »
It's a great way to keep an eye on the gunk (mites) that fall out of the hive.  Unfortunately Hive beetles go right through them up into your hives.   Might want to consider that if you are in an SHB area?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 10:23:43 pm »
I'm in Loveland, Colorado just north of you. I have been using them for 2 years now. I like them. I close them up most of the way in the winter. I bought a roll of hardware cloth and I make them myself. Pretty easy to do. I use a top entrance as well so they get real good ventilation.
Alfred

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 11:09:55 pm »

Robo

Just curious, why did go back to solids?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 10:01:04 am »

Robo

Just curious, why did go back to solids?

I believe my hives do better when they can retain the heat in the brood chamber and when they control the amount of ventilation.  I find slatted racks prevent bearding.

I think they are fine if one keeps them closed off and just uses them for mite drop counts,  but not worth the investment for that to me.  And as far as IPM,  I'm not convinced the natural fall off rate is significant enough to make a difference.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,22228.msg171090.html#msg171090
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,25132.0.html
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,21174.msg162151.html#msg162151
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 10:58:38 am »
i use them, but close them up at  night.  i caught more swarms than i had BBs for, so i have a couple on solid bottoms.  when i started out and had solid bottoms, i noticed that by spring i had a really gunky, moldy, mess on the bottom even with the hives tipped.  with the screened boards, i still have a pile of dead bees and gunk, but it's not such a stinky mess.  i put the inserts in for winter, but there must be enough air circulation under the screen to help keep the nasty down.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything