Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic Pollen Traps  (Read 1831 times)

Offline fishman

• New Bee
Plastic Pollen Traps
« on: April 12, 2013, 07:06:08 pm »
Anyone have experience with those plastic pollen traps?  I bought a couple to try from Brushy Mtn. They were cheap. I put them on a couple hives, but they weren't moving a lot due to rain. The holes in the flap sure look small? Not positive they can squeeze in.  Maybe its just me.   Like idea I can simply flip the door up to "shut it off" so bees can have theirs too. Just wandering. 

Offline beeman2009

• House Bee
Re: Plastic Pollen Traps
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:51:57 pm »
Fishman,

Not sure how these will work, keep us posted. I was thinking of trying a few myself. Think I will wait to see how they work for you.

Thanks
All things may be lawful, but not all things are advantageous.

Beeman2009

Offline fishman

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 09:10:17 pm »
OK   will do my friend     Fish

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »
I'm curious too. Update when you can. Thanks for being the guinea pig lol.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 09:29:38 am »
I bought the Front Porch model because of the asterisk shaped holes. Cost me a bunch more but it works great! Actually, never closed it all the way and we collected enough for ourselves to eat. I think that might be good because they probably can't clean out their dead etc. with the opening so tight.
 Confused the heck out of the foragers for a day or two. They were all scrambling around up top looking for the opening.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline fishman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »
Ok, Yesterday was good weather. The Bees were sure confused about the new traps. Obviously they found the way out, and were all over them. I went back out to them as the temp cooled, and sun was going down. They were all back in. I removed the trays and got a little more than 4 oz clean pollen. I thought that was pretty good for time of year and temps, and really only 1 day worth? There was only a couple dead behind each door, and no bee parts in the pollen. So far I will say they are working pretty good.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:03:54 pm »
This is common model in professionals hives

This too

Language barrier NOT included