Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mowing the apiary?  (Read 11323 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Mowing the apiary?
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 08:25:06 am »
roger33 join the fun and make a video I'm going to pm you with a little story how this all got started and a few link's you will get a kick out of it :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline saritacoleman

• House Bee
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 01:59:01 am »
Oh...my goodness...thanks to ALL of you for giving me fall off the chair chuckles on what has more than likely been the worst week I've had in a very long time. I still have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard.

That actually was our first question when we asked about beekeeping. Our 95 year old neighbor used to mow our backyard with a riding mower. When we told him we were putting a hive in...he said..."Well, I'll stay away from there." He does like to hear about our bees though.

My husband mowed first and gave the hive a good 6 foot diameter. The other neighbor got closer with her mower and now when I mow (hubbie works overtime...I'm home and it's only fair) I've gotten closer and closer each time with in my comfort zone. The girls seem pretty tolerant.
I will not mow with in about 6 inches from the front of the hive because sometimes they fly in there to wander in the grass...(I have no idea why other then...well...I have no idea why.) After inspections I try to help them back into the entrance...hubby thinks I'm crazy because I do this in shorts, sloggers and I'm veilless. (after being in a jacket, jeans, veil and shoes I'm burning up and cant wait to get that stuff off of me) I'm still wanting to get the girls back where they should be so I risk it. They don't seem to mind.

We have a very vigorous raspberry bush right behind the hive that I go in and pick every day.
The girls hardly even notice me. The Japanese Beetles in the bush that swarmed at me though gave me quite the start the first time around.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Best,
Sarita

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 08:02:17 pm »
I got my reel mower from LOWES for 60 bucks.  I love it.
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

anything