Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with my Bumble Bee nest  (Read 2257 times)

Offline larabee

• New Bee
What to do with my Bumble Bee nest
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:13:08 am »
I am hopeful some more experienced beeks will chime in here.  My husband and I bought the little house next to ours.  It's a dump.  We are doing a FULL renovation.  I was in the house for the second day today removing some baseboards and when I came back in the room Bombus huntii was in the window.  I thought she had come in through an open window so I helped her find her way out and returned to work.  I came back in the room just a couple minutes later and darned if she wasn't back, or so I thought at first.  Then I noticed several Bombus huntii walking in and out of a little space where the wall material and the floor material don't meet behind the piece of baseboard I removed.  I am sure I have uncovered some level of bumble bee nest.  I am VERY interested in helping them to survive!  I read here that a copy paper box is a good storage space, to feed them some 1:1 while they move but then what?  I have three honeybee hives in my yard next door and am happy to arrange a permanent place for these girls or a place where they can live out the season.  How do I help them survive?  I will set up whatever I need to.

I hope someone can offer helpful insight.

I appreciate any replies.

Many thanks,

Rene Sollars

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: What to do with my Bumble Bee nest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 02:47:26 am »
I found and moved a bombus impatiens nest here in Michigan last summer.  Impatiens seem to be the most populous bumble bee in my area.  My nest was under some garden debris from the previous fall.  Bumble bee nests are much smaller than honey bees and hence I used a small box to put my bumbles into.  My box was about 6”w x 8”l x 4”t.  

My guess is, like honeybees, it is probably better to put them in a box size that they can protect.  Wax moths seem to like their nests too. :(  My colony was of modest size and fit my box fine.  

I just suited up, got a shovel under the nest and moved the whole thing into the box.  They were REALLY buzzing loud as I moved them, but they didn’t try to attack me, and the move went smoothly.  I moved the box with the bumbles about 150’ to a new location and they did fine.  They seemed to re-orientate ok with the 150’ move.  Like honeybees, they don't seem to be able to see Red light, so moving them, or observing them under Red light is also an option. 

I'm a little surprised your honeybees didn't find this run down home to live in. ;)

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:40:40 am »
Here is one I collected much like BlueBee...but I did get stung.  They can get you right through jeans, but it was worth it to be able to watch them.  

They are in a converted shallow super with attached solid bottom and a Plexiglas top, some screened ventilation holes were also added.  A slide closed the entrance when I took it out to show.  Shortly after this picture, next year's queens began hatching and by mid September they were gone and the nest was empty.  

Saw many queens this spring looking for nest sites.  I caught a few and tried to establish them in some boxes but none stuck.  I guess I will have to find another nest in a mulch pile to put in the OH box.

Jim

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:03:34 pm by Grandpa Jim »

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:03:43 pm »
I got a swarm call and showed up to get honey bees from a squirrel house.  They turned out to be bumble bees.  Sorry to say I had no idea how to deal with it and left it to the fate of the lady with the can of raid that wanted her rodents back. They are big and intimidating, I had a swarm trap without a large enough opening and had no idea of how to move them from the leaves in the box. Still bothers me all the same.

Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 02:39:15 am »
So let me see if I got this right......  The homeowner wanted the bumble bees out so the SQUIRRELS could move IN :? :? :?.  What is the world coming too?

Moving a bumble bee hive is pretty easy.  They make a LOT of noise, but I haven’t had them really attack me yet.  Then again, I’ve just fooled with a couple of nests.  Just stick a shovel or trowel under the leaves/debris, lift, and set the mass into another box.  Add $100 to the bill for the woman holding a can of raid and move onto the next job.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:24:20 am »
minz, they are thick here this year, aren't they?  we found one out by my camper.  we left it, but if i decide i want to load up later for a trip, it will have to be moved. 
they are everywhere this year.  must have been just right for them.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything