Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Me and the Liberty Bell  (Read 2366 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Me and the Liberty Bell
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:29:21 pm »
Just thought I'd give the Photoshack option (don't forget we NOW have COMPLETE IMAGE HOSTING where you can easily upload any image from your computer to share with other members - see the tutoral at http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=6691.0  if you have any questions.)

Here I am at a recent trip to Philadelphia. not the greatest shot, but my wife took the pic from my camera in the movie mode, not the hi-res camera mode. Anyways, here goes :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Me and the Liberty Bell
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:12:55 pm »
Nice pic John. For some reason I thought the bell would have been in an enclosure somewhere less accesible.Good to see you can get so close to a famous piece of our history.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: Me and the Liberty Bell
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 02:51:05 pm »
Hey Ken:

The truth be told, the Bell is well protected, although you can get within 4 feet of it. First, you pass through a metal detector, all your bags are x-rayed, then you walk through a 200 foot long museum showing related historical documents, videos and items from our history as a country. That glass window behind me is 1 inch thick (I assume) bullet proof glass. The courtyard outside the window is a buffer about 100 ft. deep and stands across from Independence MAll.

I think I wrote about having trouble getting through the security metal detector because I had steel toed sneakers on, showing my Fed ID to the guard made my entry all the easier, I hope the least I would have had to do was remove my shows for inspection - but that wasn't necessary.

But once you finally get through the length of the building, the very last room is the Bell Room, granate and marble and a guard for good measure.

But the amazing thing is the deversity of people I witnessed there in the 10 minutes I stood there filming and looking and imagining all the millions who have seen it and the many priveledged who have touched and rang it. I have been sitting on the video of the Philadelphia Trip and I will try to upload it soon - you'll get to see for yourself the museum, and the path to the Bell. I did have an urge to fling a nickle at it to hear it ring, but restrained myself  :shock: That would have gone over great - lol.

P.S. The Bell has a hairlined crack that you never seem to hear about, it runs from the right at the top of the crack for more than 1.5 feet - just something you may never read anywhere else. :)

[NOTE TO MEMBERS] These photos were all uploaded by our simple and powerful Imageshack photo storage system - everyone can post their photos straight from their hard-drive using this simple system, no need to go through complicated account activation, ads or other hastles - SHARE YOUR IMAGES WITH US, PLEASE. That is what makes out International Forum So Special.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

anything