Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it ok to invert a frame during an inspection?  (Read 3029 times)

Offline Jackam

• House Bee
Is it ok to invert a frame during an inspection?
« on: July 09, 2013, 03:22:55 am »
I was pulling frames the other day and my son thought he saw the Queen on the bottom of a frame that I had in my hands. I hefted it up to look underneath but then I was battling a light sky. It would have been easier for me to just flip it upside down for a moment, but I didn't. I'm using plastic foundation (and it's drawn.)

Do the bees care if they go wrong-side up?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Is it ok to invert a frame during an inspection?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:19:23 am »
Yes it is OK to invert a frame like the one you are referring to. If you are looking for queen cells, bee gentle. Up until the last 2 days before she hatches, she is very prone to damage by rough handling. For new eyes with top board hives, do not invert the comb unless you roll it to the side so that the comb remains in a verticals position until it is upside down.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:20:14 am »
Don't flip them up, rotate them to the other side by swinging them along the top axis. this puts less stress/rotational inertia and velocity than a flip will. if you have or are using a topbar, you do not even do that usually. It will flip them upside down and vise versa. the bees themselves can of course go upside down no problem...but eggs, even though 'glued' in could potentially come lose, or bees could just lose their grip/etc...not to mention of course if the comb comes undone then you are potentially in for a real mess. That being said I am sure everyone has done it, probably, and will come out of the woodwork and say so.

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:22:03 am »
ok...the eggs wont come lose...but still....

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 04:55:04 am »
No problem at all with the foundation you mentioned. Of course foundationless is a different especially in hot weather. btb eggs fall out.. new one on me, where did you hear that?
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:57:28 am »
Oh sorry I see you retracted that statement :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 10:45:25 am »
New comb heavy with nectar can be an issue even with foundation.  But as long as you take into account the fragility of new wax you can hold a frame in any position that is convenient for you.  When nectar is really thin, it may spill if you have it flat... the larvae will be fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:57 pm »
Oh sorry I see you retracted that statement :-D

ya, it was sorta spur of the moment creativity.... ;)
When I show young ones to use both hands at opposite corners when holding the frame, I tell me not to flip it, but rotate it. I really do think rotating is just a better way of doing it, even 'if' it doesn't harm anything to flip really.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:59:12 am »
ya, it was sorta spur of the moment creativity.... ;)

Seen a lot of that lately in a lot of post by a lot of posters. Hard lately to separate the post from the ........ well you know  :flyingpig:

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:36:51 am »
heh, it was as much of a tongue in cheek thing than anything else.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 01:19:05 am »
Sometimes it may be better to simply leave the tongue and cheek comments off and stick to the beekeeping topic.   

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:28:50 am »
or not. sometimes works both ways actually....in fact sometimes insinuates less then equal or most of the time, so in reality what you are saying is equal to or most of the time it is better to have tongue in cheek.... In any case the answer and idea behind it is still the same. Deal with it.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 04:54:23 am »
or not. sometimes works both ways actually....in fact sometimes insinuates less then equal or most of the time, so in reality what you are saying is equal to or most of the time it is better to have tongue in cheek.... In any case the answer and idea behind it is still the same. Deal with it.

AT this point I will refrain  :flyingpig: :flyingpig: :flyingpig:

anything