Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What do they do with all that wax?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline TheMasonicHive

• House Bee
What do they do with all that wax?
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:10:52 am »
Hello everyone,

I'm curious about something.  When my hives are completely drawn...including my supers, what do new bees do with their wax buildup that they would normally build with? 

It would seem that even though they would use a lot of it for cappings, that the population of bees probably MORE than covers that. 

So what happens with all that wax they only produce for a short time that is rendered useless by a lack of space with which to utilize it?
Christopher Peace
Oakland County, MI

"It teaches us that, as we come into the world rational and intelligent beings, so we should ever be industrious ones; never sitting down contented while our fellow-creatures around us are in want, when it is in our power to relieve them without inconvenience to ourselves." - Freemasonry on the Beehive

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
Re: What do they do with all that wax?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:45 am »
I just assumed that they only made it when they needed it? But I would be interested to find out as well...

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 01:36:12 pm »
They only produce the wax when needed.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline zopi

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 10:17:16 pm »
According to Hive and Honeybee...they only produce massive amounts of wax when they are spurred to do so by necessity, but they are always producing at least a little, for capping, repairs, etc...

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 01:25:26 am »
If they have a lack of space they swarm.  Them they have a place for the wax in their new home and half of your bees too.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:42 pm »
For the first time this year, I could see the wax flakes jutting out from my bees' abdomens. It was so incredible!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:06:27 pm by luvin honey »
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:17:16 am »
It's a self adjucting system.  When they have somewhere to store the nectar they store it.  When they don't, they turn it into wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything