Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beemaster's Home (water colored)  (Read 5471 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Beemaster's Home (water colored)
« on: December 05, 2006, 08:15:02 pm »
Here is a photo of my 180 year old home taken a few Winter's ago. To make a bit more attractive, I added some of the Paintshop Pro techniques to it.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
Re: Beemaster's Home (water colored)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 05:57:35 pm »
Wow, that is an old house.  My old house in the first picture was built in 1909 by my Great-Grandfather.  It became mine in 2002.  They were poor farmers, and unfortunately never invested anything into maintinence on this house.   As you can see, it still had the orginal paint LOL. 

My intitial plans for it were to do a complete revamp and remodel.  But upon a closer inspection, I found the foundation to be failing, and the main beams rotten and full of termites.   Ultimately it was going to be less expensive to begin anew.   So it met with the wreckingball (actually it was an excavator), and I built the home in the second photo on the same piece of property. 

I chose it because it kept a similar shape to the old home which I hoped would honor the tradition of our homestead.  An added bonus is it includes a huge garage, which the old house didn't have.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 07:09:33 pm by buzzbee »

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 07:37:59 pm »
You guys got some serious square footage there! I live in a shack! ;)

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 08:17:54 pm »
Nice home pics!A house is a house but the family makes it a home! ;)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:20:39 pm »
ChickenWing, my dad used to say if you had were warm and had a roof over your that didn't leak, that's all you needed. ;)
I live in the family home, and needless to say, we've done loads of work the house and still have loads to do, but slowly we've made it more livable and presentable.  :)
Brenda

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 09:54:23 pm »
Well, warmth was a big factor in that house, as well.  I was paying $$$ for heating it.  If there was a good breeze blowing outside, the papers I had sitting on the kitchen table would get blown off. LOL

Did I forget to mention the birds?   They had moved into the walls and the eves.  That house was a mess.  If it was worth it, I would have saved it, but really it wasn't fit to live in, and it did not justify the cost to repair it.    It would have cost me easily 2x what I paid for the new house to bring it up to code ( which would have been required by my township if I had "remodeled").

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 01:07:41 am »
It is so good to see pictures of where people live.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 11:44:00 am »
My humble house!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:03:27 pm »
Jorn, nice picture.  It looks to be a very large house.  What a beautiful pink tree growing there.  What is it?  I see this growing up where my daughter lives, about 4 hours drive from here.  Always admired it.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 07:44:54 am »
Jorn, nice picture.  It looks to be a very large house.  What a beautiful pink tree growing there.  What is it?  I see this growing up where my daughter lives, about 4 hours drive from here.  Always admired it.  Great day.  Cindi

Yhe pink flowered is a Bush called Ribis in Danish. I don't have a latin name present. It is very early in flowering so that nearly only bombus bees have use of it. This Autoumn it decided to start again here in December, but I think the Frost will kill it, so that it is set back to reserves for the spring.

By the way. The climate here in Denmark is similar to the climate in Your youth town Vancuver if I have read you correctly.

By the way the house is not that big, 80 square metre + upstairs 50 square metre and a little storing house, garage.
It is the building in front.

I share the house with another independent fellow. He live uspstairs and I have the 80 Square metres. The gaden is surrounded with big trees and a forrest so we have our total privacy :-)

I visited Vancuver in1999 paticipating in the Apimondia Congress. My canada pictures is from that visit.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 10:24:59 am »
Jorn, now I find that interesting that our climate would be similar.  I would love to discuss this with you at some point in time, find out if you have some species of plants that maybe both of us have that are indigenous to our climates only.  You must have wonderful nature having the forest and trees surrounding your home.  I love our forests here.  The undergrowth is so dense in so many places, it reminds me of somewhat a jungle.  It is the wet weather of my Lower Mainland area of Vancouver that makes everything so lush and always green, even in the middle of summer.  So beautiful.  Like that in your area too.  Do you have a picture of the forest surrounding your home?  Take some if you can and post them, would love to see it.

Did you like Vancouver?  It is a beautiful city by the ocean, and the Stanley Park that is on the perimeter of the bay is simply astounding, with its walkway that goes for miles along the seashore.  You have a great day Jorn.  Cindi

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:20:13 pm »
here is my house in sunny north florida. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:37:00 am »
pdmattox, nice picture.  I like rancher style houses, very easy to get around in.  Picture was taken in dawn or dusk?   Is that tree infront of the house a palm tree.  Very nice tree.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:48:55 am »
You Guy's all have nice houses.Here in L A those house's cost 750000 to a million
dollars

you lucky dogs
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:21 pm »
The house was built in 1944 by the farmer that used to farm all the land around this farm(mostly tabacco and corn).  The picture was taken at sunset and the tree is a sable palm I think.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:20 pm »
I can see that you build your houses with wood. When my wife is watching an american film and see your houses she is yearning for the wood, her family were carpenters.
So I built on the flat roof (here "azotea") a wooden attic, or something similar. Her uncle, a great carpenter, was helping me. And the Kentia, the nice plant, was sowed by my brother, a "green hand", magistral with the plants.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 01:00:53 pm »
what a fantastic room
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 01:04:36 pm »
Gracias.  ;)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 01:32:23 pm »
Very Nice,Great craftsmanship

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 02:04:07 pm »
abejeruco, beautiful room, looks like you have a great hand with the carpentry too.  Being able to construct things is a blessing, consider yourself that way.  It is an admirable trait to possess.

My husband loves to build, he builds and builds more, rooms, barns, fences, pantries, everything that you could imagine.  He is amazing and I feel deep gratitude that I have him to build.  That it is life dream when we retire from our foster caring field, to build.

I think that one of his most incredible building feats was when he built a beautiful white picket fence around our yard.  He did this because our daughter was going to be married at our home and he wanted it extra nice.  He spent months working on this project.  There is approximately 750 pickets that he cut, painted, cemented in each fence post for it.  An enormous undertaking, but he did it.  In time for the wedding.  I will post a picture of part of the fence, amazing.  Our yard is very, very large and if you can imagine how big it would be to require that many pickets.  He devised an incredible invention for painting each picket.  It was a tall tube that he filled with the paint and dipped each one, and of course had to dry them too, I actually did not believe he could do it when he told me his plans.  Wow!!!

That August 4 was a day to remember, 5 years ago.  I was still heavily involved with still running my little nursery that I opened each spring for about 2 months to a select clientelle.  I had greenhouses, lights, furnace and all that was required to propogate plants.

The wedding theme was blue, that meant that I had to spend months propogating all manner of blue flowers, in all the shades of blue, very impressive gardens that year for sure.  Blue and white.  I did throw in some orange shades of plants, to break the shades of blue up, (there must always be some orange colour in my gardens!!!).

Hmm..I do go on.

Abejaruco, I wanted to tell you that the beautiful plant that is in the room is indeed beautiful.  You called it a Kentia.  Awesome.  I have attempted to grow this plant in my home (I have an amazing green thumb too), but it has never survived well.  Disaster every time.  No idea why, just one that I cannot seem to grow.  Here in my country, it is called a "palm" majestic.  Interesting the different species of plants that are named differently in many places.  Have an awesome day.  Cindi