Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cider Presses & Exotic Birds.  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Cider Presses & Exotic Birds.
« on: November 14, 2007, 12:25:30 am »
I just got my cider press that I ordered a year ago from Cider Bob at Correl Press http://www.applejournal.com/correll/ of Elmira, Oregon.  It is a 2 basket press, well made and easy to put together, I put mine together using just a rubber mallet and a 1/2 socket wrench.  The mallet for pounding the stove bolts through the holes in the frame and the wrench for tightening the nuts.  His note that informed my that the press was ready said he is now back ordered by 165 units.  He is semi-retired, builds them by himself, so getting one takes a while.  That are also on the upper end of the price scale (mine cost almost $900.00 including packing, shipping, and handling) but well worth it IMHO.

Now I'm ready for making cider next year.  I plan on making some Crab Apple cider for making jelly with.  The down side is that I just recently found out that, like with milk, I'm apple intolerent.   I can't drink milk or eat apple products.  But I can enjoy making cider and watching my grandchildren do it. Come next Labor Day that's just what we'll be doing.

I recently obtained, on a whim, a pair of rare Impeyan Pheasants.  There birds are probably the most beautiful birds I've ever come across and, IMO, even prettier than Peafowl.  The rooster has a mid-night black neck and breast, irridesent green neck, Glossy purple wings, and deep golden tail feathers. These birds are about the same size as Peafowl and come from, more or less, the same part of the world.  They arem unlike Peafowl, very quite; making a faint panting cluck that is more like a whisper. 

Regardless of how beautiful they look, my wife says I can't keep them.  So if there's anybody in the PNW who would like a pair of the most gorgeous birds I will sell mine for what I paid for them $50.00 buys the pair.

You can probably tell that with a name like Brian Bray I'm a little B crazy, having several types of birds a well as bees and a berry patch.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Cider Presses & Exotic Birds.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 02:45:58 am »
My wife told me either she goes or the pheasants go, I'm sure gonna miss her! :-D

Brian, may I say that I find you to be a very interesting and knowledgable fellow. I am fascinated by your interest in birds and you have got me thinking that some day I may keep them myself. Those pheasants sound mighty interesting, thanks for sharing your passion. Oh, and how cool is the cider press!!!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 10:15:47 am »
Brian, your cider press sounds absoultely wonderful and your Grandchildren will have the time of their life, yeah!!!!!

OK about the birds, Impeyan Pheasants.  Are fowl allowed to cross the border between us?  I have no clue, but I would be interested in purchasing these birds from you if were a possibility.  PM me to let me know if you know anything about border stuff.  I could take a day drive down, it would be fun!!!!! (my Sister would surely come in tow as well, yeah!!!!, a Sister day).  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

P.S.  Why won't your wife let you keep them, I bet it is simply because you have too much to do as it is, women do have some great insight into the things men do, yeah, I know, we gals are all control freaks, uh, huh, yep, yep.  C.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 12:43:08 am »
My wife is the last remaining trustee of my father's trust set up in his will.  I say last remaining because not long after his death (my mother died 6 months before my father) my younger brother (@50) decided to inform everyone he was no longer our brother or co-trustee, but our new sister.  This has been extremely difficult to get a handle on for everybody in the family, including his wife and children. 

My wife seems to feel that any type of animal that wasn't here upon my father's death shouldn't be here now. She was born & raised in the Emerald City (Seattle) so has no idea what happens in Kansas (farm country).  If you've followed some of the posts I've made concerning my wife (i.e. polock jokes) then you might be able to understand that she is a bit on the naive if the subject matter doesn't include low cost housing or mass-transit.

Customs should know about any restrictions on importation of animals across the line.  maybe if we both call we can compare answers?  After all, we've finaly lifted the ban on importing cattle after mad cow.  Maybe we can convince customs that the Pheasants are vegetable seeds under the same kind of definition that WTO considers bees vegitation?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 09:50:21 am »
Brian, I'll put customs on my to do list, really busy today, but I'll try tomorrow.  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 11:22:48 pm »
I note that most of your birds have the run of the farm.  Pheasants require enclosed pens: top and all sides.  No top=no birds, they will soon be seen in the neighboring county.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:33:49 pm »
Brian, no, my birds actually don't have the run of the farm.  The areas that they habit are totally fenced in, some pretty good fences too, some not as good.  The ones that are not overly high are in plain view from our homes and there is always someone's eyeballs peering out the back.

The pheasant would need a totally enclosed area you say.  I don't know if I could provide that though.  The chicken yards are very large and to cover them up would be almost an impossibility.  We do have one small pen that we use for the young chicks, it does have fish netting covering the entire top (to prevent those darn ravens from coming down and doing the scoop thing).  So that would be a possibility.  I am going to speak with my Sister today and see if she is as interested in these pheasants as I am.  If we have the same interest, then I will address this deeper. 

Brian, say, how big would the enclosed pen need to be, that would be an important aspect to know of.  Have a great and beautiful day, best health wishes.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 05:27:51 pm »
The pen I currently have them in approximately 10X15 feet.  The guy I got them from had them in a 4X10 foot dog run with a net over the top.  The chick pen may be just the ticket.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 08:04:25 pm »
Brian
The link to applejournal doesn't work for me.. maybe their server is down?
The apple press sounds like fun! Maybe you could engineer something and have it do crush and strain! :)

Offline Carriage House Farm

• House Bee
    • Carriage House Farm
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 11:50:42 pm »
Brian

Here is my old, inherited 2 stage press.  Its my winter rebuild project.  It works but it needs to be cleaned up.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:13:31 am »
Richard, ooopalah!!!  Now isn't that a piece of beauty, hope you can make it look as beautiful as it originally was, yea!!!!!  Best of this great day, great life.  Cindi

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:12:05 am »
Wow, what an antique!
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:23:49 am »
That's a real beauty.  a lot of TLC will turn it back into a show piece to be proud of--Lucky you.
Mine is also a 2 stage press but with an electric motor instead of the fancy gears and crank.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 12:02:20 pm »
That's a real beauty.  a lot of TLC will turn it back into a show piece to be proud of--Lucky you.
Mine is also a 2 stage press but with an electric motor instead of the fancy gears and crank.

Only a beeekeeper would call the manual press "fancy gears and crank" when compared to a new elctric one! Love old simple ways myself!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".