Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone saturated area  (Read 4510 times)

Offline psbeekeeper

• House Bee
Drone saturated area
« on: January 22, 2012, 08:11:32 pm »
How do I get a drone saturated area without inviting varrora mites (using drone comb).

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Drone saturated area
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »
The idea that you can raise more or less drones is a myth founded on marketing foundation.  The bees will raise the same number no matter what you do.  You can skew the genetics, however, by stealing drone comb from the hives whose genetics you want and putting it in the hives whose genetics you don't want.  The presence of drone brood will suppress the production of drones in the ones you gave it to, while the absence of drones in the hives you want genetics from, will stimulate them to raise more.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:09:34 pm »
Is that in your book Mr Bush?  Are you holding out on us??  I would have never thought of that but it makes total sense.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:53:37 am »
>Is that in your book Mr Bush?

I'm sure I said it somewhere.  Looks like page 31, page 125, page 204, ...  But the guy who did the research is Clarence Collison.

Levin, C.G. and C.H. Collison. 1991. The production and distribution of drone comb and brood in honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) colonies as affected by freedom in comb construction. BeeScience 1: 203-211.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »
I've had hives that seemed to raise more drones than others.  Are there studies that have conclusions based on that.  I don't know if it's a race thing (all my bees are mongrels) or maybe I'm being fooled because some do it earlier/later than others.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:32:16 pm »
Yes, race does have an effect.
-------------------

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:55:52 pm »
Any idea what races have the tendency to produce more/less drones?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:21 pm »
AHB make more drones... but otherwise I haven't tried to track it.  All bees in the US are mutts anyway...
-------------------

anything