Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tea Tree Oil  (Read 3702 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Tea Tree Oil
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:16:24 am »
Is there any difference between Natural Essence or Essential tea tree oil? Was watching FBM and he suggested using Natural Essence tea tree oil for nosema treatment/prevention, and what I found on ebay was Essential tea tree oil.

I would think they are the same. I have zero experience in this field.

thanks
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Burl

• House Bee
Re: Tea Tree Oil
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 03:15:48 am »
Yes , I was wondering too if there was any real benefit or consequence between all the different types of tea tree oil ?  Or are they all about the same ?   Hopefully , someone with experience and knowledge will enter this discussion to enlighten us about this .
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:30:17 am »
I think your dealing w/ brand names in this instance, as far as I know there's no good or bad types of it.
All I can say is be carefull w/ it, it's a powerfull essential oil. Played around w/ it in feed & ended up w/ dead bees, I'm assuming that I didn't get it emulsified enough & it separated.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
Okay, fill me in on the details.., How much did you put in to what quantity?(you know new beeks are paranoid)

I ordered some off of ebay that is supposed to be 100% pure natural oil. I have the meds to treat them but I would like to steer clear of them if I can. FBM said something off the cuff that I can relate to. He said the bees he has that don't get treatments produce more honey with a smaller number that his hives that gets treated. He said if you medicate the bees up "they just don't feel like it - producing a lot of honey". (me) - Heck, anytime I have to take medicine for a cold, pain or something I don't feel like doing anything either.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:52:34 pm by GSF »
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »
I tried to find the reference for the eo's recipe but couldn't find it. All I remember it was for mite control & you only put a couple drops per quart tea tree/thymo/lethigan mixture per qt
Fumagilin has a good track record for nosema & as far as I know there's no stress put on the hive when inoculated, unlike treatment w/ eo's (I'm a firm believer that eo's disrupt a hive's communication),
I know you want to do what's best for your hives, but has there been a  outbreak of nosema in your area? I haven't treated in three years and probably will not unless I lose 
one or hear of it going around.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »
So, is nosema like a flu virus? If there's none around there's not much to worry about? (I'm asking because I'm not sure)

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:53:19 pm »
I don't like it for feeding.  I prefer other essential oils. Spearmint, wintergreen, lemongrass or even garlic.  There are even some health teas that you can feed your bees with tons of probiotics. 

One great use for teatree oil? A spoonful in a fountain will keep your bees out of a neighbor's pool.   It is like magic.  Just make sure the bees have safe access to the water. It is not uncommon to see them beard on the fountain on hot days. It catches people on the patio by surprise!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 11:15:43 pm »
you don't need to treat what isn't there. 

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 12:02:17 am »
Ck out Randy Oliver's scientific beekeeper web site, he has a very good write up on nosema.