Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I hope this helps someone else.  (Read 4773 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
I hope this helps someone else.
« on: July 17, 2013, 11:54:25 am »
Ok, I make my own equipment from discarded crates that I collect from work. This requires a bunch of table saw time.
Yesterday, I had my first and only connection with the blade. This resulted in 6 stitches, work stoppage and a tenuous shot. Lucky for me I had the presence of mind to set the saw up properly with only a minimal amount of blade above the wood. Still, I knew better I actually cautioned myself just seconds before the event.
I felt pressured to get this work out. I had been up all night working a 12hr graveyard shift. This happened at 2:00pm. I'm kind of a driven individual. I know that the root cause was a lack of good judgment brought about by a lack of sleep. As I understand it lack of proper rest is as impairing as excessive alcohol consumption.
Just thought this might cause someone else to think.
Later,
Ray

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: I hope this helps someone else.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:21 pm »
6 stiches is a cheap lesson learned

Offline Spinner

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 01:03:37 pm »
Thanks for the reminder.  I had a similar situation a few years back and invested in a Sawstop saw.  The blade stops immediately and retracts below the table on contact with skin.  Of course, you'll have to replace a blade and the brake cartridge, but that's cheap compared to my fingers.  Anyone considering a table saw or replacing theirs should look at them.  No, I don't work for them - just a happy customer.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 01:37:36 pm »
6 stiches is a cheap lesson learned

Yes it is. I realize it could have been much worse. Only got flesh.

Thanks for the reminder.  I had a similar situation a few years back and invested in a Sawstop saw.  The blade stops immediately and retracts below the table on contact with skin.  Of course, you'll have to replace a blade and the brake cartridge, but that's cheap compared to my fingers.  Anyone considering a table saw or replacing theirs should look at them.  No, I don't work for them - just a happy customer.

Just bought my saw. Looked at sawstop. Made a choice.  Options for dollar. Each of us do that. Would still make same choice for same reasons. No doubt that your saw would have prevented the injury. I'm a firm believer in the power of people like me to learn. Only time will tell. I'm in no way taking anything away from Sawstop.
Later,
Ray

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:45 pm »
The local school got a saw stop for there woods class.  They have a couple of blades hanging on the wall to show people.  The brake cartridge is 75.00 I believe and a blade maybe 25.00 but cheap compared to amputation plus it is really a nice table saw.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:25 pm »
If I ever run across anything that I cannot do on the table saw by using a push block, it doesn't get done or I will use hand powdered tools.  Glad you only got flesh.  :) d2

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:57:24 pm »
Great reminder Ray.  I’m SUPER cautious around saw blades and haven’t had an accident yet, but I have lots of days with little sleep.  Sure glad you didn’t get hurt worse.  Will look into a Saw Stop when it’s time to replace the ole table saw.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 12:07:47 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I pulled a dumb stunt and while making a narrow rip neglected to use push sticks and actually had my thumb above the blade. The only saving grace was that I had the blade set at minimum height to rip the material. If you're gonna be stupid you gotta be tough. :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 05:14:47 am »
check this out...it is amazing.

http://youtu.be/OMD3agP5hv0

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 12:56:29 am »
I always set my blade height properly because the one time you get it, its better to go in an eighth of an inch rather than the 1" above the stock I have seen others practice.  Plus I tend to drink a beer when I'm ripping so... yay for push sticks?!?! :)
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:22:30 am »
I always set my blade height properly because the one time you get it, its better to go in an eighth of an inch rather than the 1" above the stock I have seen others practice.  Plus I tend to drink a beer when I'm ripping so... yay for push sticks?!?! :)

That's how I had the blade set. I might as well have had a couple beers being up for 20+hrs. I had downward pressure on the board and simply ran my thumb through the cut. Missed bone because of proper set up. If I'd had 1" above the material my new handle would be "Nubby". :shock: :-D
Later,
Ray

Offline Santa Caras

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:30:32 pm »
push sticks and a sharp blade....dull blades make for accidents

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
push sticks and a sharp blade....dull blades make for accidents

Agreed,  Saw safety is a total package. Sharp blade, push sticks, blade set and fence aalignment. Oh I can't leave out operator awareness.
Later,
Ray