Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First swarm of the season  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
First swarm of the season
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:11 am »
Caught my first swarm for the season today. Nice big swarm hanging to the underside of a tree branch about 12 feet off the ground. I managed to put most of them into a 5 frame nuc and hope the rest will follow. I really need to make a bee vac, it would have made the job much easier.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First swarm of the season
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:34:06 pm »
For a swarm, you are much better off without the vac. Unless you set it just right, you can loose a lot of bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »
How do you mean, "set it just right"? What settings are you adjusting?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:37:28 pm »
There should be an extra hole in the box with a cover that allows you to open it up to reduce the suction on the hose. If the suction is more than what it takes to just barely pick up the bees you can end up loosing/killing more than half the bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:25 pm »
Thaks Jim. I've never used a bee vac yet so didn't know that vital bit of info.

Offline swiftden

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 10:07:58 am »
Nice looking swarm mate. I have boxed 4 in the last week. I think all have come from my own hives tho.

Offline Lord Viykor

• House Bee
    • Viykor.com - My adventures in backyard farming
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 03:43:36 am »
Good sized swarm, I got my first one a few weeks ago. How have they settled in to their new home?

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 08:41:25 pm »
Caught my first swarm for the season today. Nice big swarm hanging to the underside of a tree branch about 12 feet off the ground. I managed to put most of them into a 5 frame nuc and hope the rest will follow. I really need to make a bee vac, it would have made the job much easier.

I use a 20 l honey pail  i have a hole in the lid with a bee escape attached, i shake in as many as i can put the lid on and hang the
pail by the handle as close as i can to where the swarm was, within 20 mins they usually all have gone in the bucket, works for me  :)

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23:15 am »
Thanks for the great idea rawfind, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

As I was unable to shake them, I didn't get all of them (that's where the vac would have been handy) and must have left the queen behind since by the next morning they had all returned to the underside of the branch. They left before I had a chance to try again.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »
The season has started with a vengeance! I've collected three in the last four days! two swarms and one cutout...

Love the idea Rawfind! might have to give that a shot...