Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Rubber band question  (Read 11535 times)

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
Rubber band question
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:25:17 am »
What size rubber bands should I get to hold brood comb in frames with when doing cut outs?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Rubber band question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 04:11:35 am »
I do not know the size number but the ones that I use are about 8-10" in diameter and 1/8" wide. You want something big enough to go around your frames but small enough that your bees can cut them and haul them out of the hives on their own. One of the first ones that I used was 1/2" wide. It took 2 weeks for them to cut them and a long time for them to get them sticking out the opening. I had to keep pulling them out my self. The 1/8" ones are small enough that the bees can fully remove them from the hive on their own.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:57:07 am »
I use a size 136. It is 6 inches X1/4 in. X 1/16 in. thick.

http://www.lee-rubber.com/sizes.htm
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:50 am »
Thank you both.  I had sent a pm to JP but he must be busy as a bee.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:23 am »
Just a touch on a one time bad experience I had. if you buy a package of rubber bands, open them and stretch them to test the elasticity before you are ready to band comb into frames. i was all set to go one time and half of the rubber bands would break with very little stretching. I would hate to see that happen to someone in the middle of a removal.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 12:37:35 pm »
the #19 from office depot works for me a little loose too stretchy  held comb nicely for me

jay

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 12:46:25 pm »
Buzzbee you are so very right on this. When you open the package of rubber bands put them in a zip lock bag and keep them out of the sunshine. The "pure rubber" bands, kind of yellow looking, will start to break down rather fast. The colored ones seem to take the longest, not sure what is in them but must be some kind of UV  resistant stuff.

You also forgot to say what size frames you were using.

If you get bands that are too small they will bend the bottom bars and mess up your frames.

Bands too skinny will allow the bees to remove them before comb is attached good to the frames and you will have comb fall into the comb beside of it and get tied together.

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 02:18:35 pm »
I personly use yarn....  the bees clean it out on their own....  and you can pull it tight or as loose as you want...

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »
Chicken wire. And a stapler. You can staple one side to a frame, lay the comb on it, fold and staple.
No fumbling trying to hold the comb, frame and rubber band at the same time.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 02:33:02 pm »
We slide the rubber bands on the frames to one end before we start.The bees can remove the bands on their own.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 06:29:32 pm »
I have also found that using a piece of the plastic sign board helps in getting new soft comb into a frame.

With the bees off of one side of the comb lay it on the sign board, trim to size if needed, lay the frame around the comb (have rubber bands on both ends). Now tilt the sign board, comb and frame up and pull the rubber bands around it. The sign board just gives the new soft comb plenty of support, not like trying to pinch it between your fingers.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:30 pm »
Im glad I posted thus because I got responses with stuff I had not even thought about. 
I like the yarn and chicken wire ideas just for the speed and simplicity alone.
I imagine I would be like a monkey with a football trying to get cut out sections of comb onto a frame frame the first time around.
And I will be using regular deep frames too. Sorry I left that off.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 03:51:02 pm »
Just sent you a PM, I like the #33 rubber bands

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 01:29:41 am »
obxbee, you read my mind.  I needed this info too.  Thanks!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 06:58:51 am »
Also, be sure to keep the comb oriented properly.  If you turn it sideways or upside down, the queen will not lay in it when the brood emerges.

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:37:00 am »
Oh Lord. I know I will screw that up really good then.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 10:25:17 am »
I orient it wrong on purpose, as I want to get it out as soon as the brood emerges. I don't want her laying in it again. You orient it correctly only if you want to leave it in the hive to be incorporated with the frames the bees draw out.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 02:07:19 pm »
I use rubber bands that I bought to hold the wings on my model airplanes, They are of good quality and can be bought at any model airplane store or on line.

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 03:14:17 pm »
Iddee
What to you do with the comb after the brood emerges then if you do not want the queen to lay again in that comb?
Do melt it down later and recycle it?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:24 pm »
Melt it down and sell it.

*Shel Silverstein*

anything