Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Texas buckwheat  (Read 4233 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
Texas buckwheat
« on: March 11, 2012, 11:09:22 pm »
So I am in north Texas and was looking at planting some buckwheat for bee forage. Is it to early or to late to let it get a bloom befor the heat kicks in and kills it?J
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Re: Texas buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:25:41 am »
Ask yer local ranchers/farmers.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:00:27 am »
One problem with that. I do not know any, and I'm not sure if it is planted in large plantings around here

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:42:43 pm »
Sorry, I don't have any experience with buckwheat either.  There are a few oldtimers with whom I converse.  Let me ask them and get back to you.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:05:30 pm »
For those wondering about this.  I talked with a few folks at several of the feed / seed stores.  They do sell buckwheat but it is not planted much around here.  From what I gathered if it was planted now and we do not get a late frost I could get two cycles out it before the heat kills it.  Then in fall I can plant it again and get 2 more cycles.   I am looking at planting 3 acres and was not sure if it would be worth it.  But, if I planted one acre, wait one to two weeks and then plant the second, then the third.  I could spread out the nectar and each acre is suppose to yeild 100 pounds of honey (if we keep getting rain).  I know I am not able to provide for the girls completely but this land is nothing but old hay field and does not have much growing on it now.

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:10:42 am »
Ya I bet the seed would cost more than the end product honey.
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:10 am »
$1.25 per pound. 20 pounds per acre

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:58:48 am »
None of my oldtimer friends remembers anyone planting buckwheat so I'm no help.  Seems our area has always been a cotton center.  I have read that buckwheat honey is very dark and has a distinct flavor.  I've never tried it or seen it.  Is that what you're after or just looking for something good to build up the hives?  Right now my bees are working Rapistrum rugosum very heavily.  It's common name, here in Texas, is illegitimate cabbage, substituting a b-word for the adjective.  It's an invasive plant that is taking over the borders of row crops and the sides of our highways and local roads.  You should be seeing plenty of this in your area too.  I drove by big patch of it over the weekend and it was covered in bees.

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/raru1.htm

anything