Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new varroa treatment???  (Read 8642 times)

Offline pembroke

• House Bee
new varroa treatment???
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »
while reading one of the Bee Culture magazines I believe I read about a new treatment for varroa mites that can be used anytime of the year. I don't believe that it has been OKd for the USA yet. Although I think I read that the treatment has been looked at by USA authorities. Anyway question is what issue was this article in??? I've back tracked several issues with no luck in finding this article. Thanks. Pembroke

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: new varroa treatment???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:58:46 pm »
Remind us what kind of treatment you are talking about and maybe we can find it.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:33:01 pm »
there is a lot of BIOPESTCIDES being researched-this is the one i think you are talking about

http://www.wasba.org/Request%20for%20use%20of%20HopGuard%20on%20honey%20bee%20colonies%20to%20control%20varroa%20mites%20082410.pdf

8-)  RDY-B

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
I'd like to know more about how hops kill mites.   And I can see a lot of beer getting poured on some hives somewhere......... :-D

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
You pump them full of this hops stuff and hand them the keys to tiny little cars. The next day they are all either dead or in jail.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:39:23 pm »
I'd like to know more about how hops kill mites.   And I can see a lot of beer getting poured on some hives somewhere......... :-D
     http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090104288#ixzz0zHJ0nh1K    8-) RDY-B

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 06:31:03 pm »
Well does it work? More specifically what is the mode of action?

I tried reading through the material and have yet to understand just specifically hop extract effects varroa and all the other nasties it claims to effect. If this is true then it is great as hops have yet to kill me. Maybe we'll end up up with fat and lazy bees but that's better than nothing.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »
I got this snip from BEE-L - 8-)  RDY-B

There is another one in the works, too. Hop Guard is a product of the hop industry. They tout hop extracts for a variety of ailments, including cancer. However, I would point out that there is a huge glut of hops on the market so there may be other motives for trying to bring hop products to market.

> An unprecedented hop supply surplus. In crop year 2008, 2,600 tons of the alpha harvested was surplus to requirements; in crop year 2009, the surplus alpha amounted to 3,500 tons. The 2010 crop will probably add another 1,000 - 2,000 tons of alpha to this surplus. In total, by the end of the 2010 marketing campaign growers and merchants will be left with stocks of surplus hops amounting to approximately one year's production. Before the 2010 harvest has even started, the warehouses of the trading companies are bursting at the seams with hops harvested in crop years 2008 and 2009 which have been sold but not yet shipped.

> For one thing is clear. The faster the hop industry is able to eliminate the structural hop surplus, the faster the markets will enter a phase of recovery. The longer it takes to remove this surplus, however, the bigger the surplus stocks will become and the longer it will take the market to absorb the surplus. Experience shows that these old stocks are sold at rock-bottom prices and will thus affect markets for years to come, even if everything has returned to normal in structural terms. For that reason time is of the essence, especially here in Hallertau.

Press release from the German Hop Industry Association

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:38:27 pm »
Wow, I had read of the surplus somewhere but it just didn't register. IIRC Sam Adams of Boston Lager (mmmm beer!) fame just got some good PR for releasing a store of supposedly good hops to home brewers. Now we know.
You would think though that the price of beer......... or is that just wishful thinking. LOL
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:55 pm »
     http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090104288#ixzz0zHJ0nh1K    8-) RDY-B
I hope that they get their patent granted. This looks like a much safer method of mite control than the chemicals past.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 01:26:59 am »
..nil
Language barrier NOT included

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 01:34:27 am »
 :-D

Offline mathew

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 03:02:13 am »
skeptical

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:41 am »
Save the Hop Farm

DRINK more BEER  :-D

I'll do my part

Will You ? ? ? ? ? :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 09:25:11 am »
perhaps the thinking is...if you drink enough beer you will worry less about varroa.
I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »
That's worked for me Tec!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 01:04:08 pm »
You pump them full of this hops stuff and hand them the keys to tiny little cars. The next day they are all either dead or in jail.

Scott

You make me laugh Scott!!

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:07:28 pm »
..nil

Finsky, what do you mean?  I haven't really researched this yet (it's on my winter agenda), but my bee club used Hopguard on club hives and were quite impressed with the drop of mites compared to other treatments they have used.

I know that access to the overall records of those hives would be needed to determine whether the product really did work better, and I don't have those.  I was just wondering what your input meant.

Thanks!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 10:41:41 pm »
..nil

Finsky, what do you mean?  I haven't really researched this yet (it's on my winter agenda), but my bee club used Hop-guard on club hives and were quite impressed with the drop of mites compared to other treatments they have used.

I know that access to the overall records of those hives would be needed to determine whether the product really did work better, and I don't have those.  I was just wondering what your input meant.

Thanks!
thats great-wonder about organic status-fin-ski is a oxalic and formic acid -expert-around here -hey isn't this a acid also beta hop something-wonder if there is any similarities - :lol: RDY-B

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 11:12:52 pm »
Ah!  Thanks for the explanation. I'm always hesitant when the word "organic" is used, as well.  Anyway, folks in my club are thinking/hoping that the Hopguard might achieve its Section 18 approval as soon as January.  I figured I'd wait until that happens and it is being marketed to see what the web site and labeling say.  Word of mouth isn't always reliable.