Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen excluder on bottom of hive  (Read 1475 times)

Offline charlotte

• House Bee
Queen excluder on bottom of hive
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »
Anybody use a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive when they introduce a new package??

I installed a package in early April...no flow going yet at the time, did not use an excluder, and all is well..  I have another package coming next week..(late due to weather in TN). I have heard that if you install a new package on foundation when there is a major flow going on, which there is here right now, your bees are much more likely to abscend because they don't "need" to stay and drink your syrup because of the flow.  Which brings me to the excluder question.  Mostly I am concerned because after I install them I will be out of town for a few days and would be really sick if I came home to an empty hive.

Anybody done this? or have any thoughts?? I realize that the drones won't be able to come or go either, and it should be only on for about a week, just to get the bees settled...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/ experiences! :)
Sleep is overrated!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Re: Queen excluder on bottom of hive
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:46:55 pm »
I have not used an excluder with a new package.  The only time I have used an excluder under the hive body is when I capture an after swarm.  They tend to abscond sometimes.  With new packages I have not had that problem.  Just my .02

David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen excluder on bottom of hive
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 07:03:06 pm »
>Anybody use a queen excluder on the bottom of the hive when they introduce a new package??

I have not. But I know a lot of people who have.  Just be sure to remove it after you have brood before they start hatching drones who won't be able to get out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything