Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well what are you doing about this warm spell  (Read 3088 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Well what are you doing about this warm spell
« on: January 08, 2007, 04:09:05 am »
I know what im doing is checking my hive weight and feeding 2-1 sugar syrup>>>>>
Why because I still think winter hasn't showed it face yet and with this warm temp my hives are busting lose, they are bringing in pollen and maybe some nectar but I thought never with this time of year but I know they are burning up their stores, that's why I have open feeders out feeding 2-1 syrup just in case they might starve this coming spring and at al the feeders I see young hairy bee's, you know the bee's with fuzz on there back, see the open feeders are boardman feeders that I set out behind my home, that is about 100 yards from the hives so it doesn't cause robbing, now I may be wrong about this winter but I dont think it has gotten here yet, it's your all's choice........ just my 2 pennies worth!!!  I will still say that a lot will lose hives if we have a long cold spell (if we ever have a winter) because of starvation!!!!!!!!!!!!! people just dont watch their hive close enoughat times!!!!!!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Well what are you doing about this warm spell
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:34:04 am »
that's why I have open feeders out feeding 2-1 syrup just in case they might starve this coming spring

Feeding is needed in winter if stores are finish. To feed for convienece is not good in the middle of winter.

You have same forecast in Lincolton as we have in Helsinki, even colder.

http://www.wunderground.com/US/GA/Lincolnton.html

Helsinki  celsius temps http://www.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi/weather/local.html?kunta=Helsinki

It depends where you live. February is the coldest month of year here and it is sure that winter is coming colder.  If you give syrup or what ever, it accelerates brood rearing.

TRY FIRST HIVE WEIGHT, DO THEY NEED MORE FOOD. IF NOT LET THEM BE IN PEACE.  But if you have no snow ever there, it same what you do.

I just deciced that I live with normal shedule and I do not make any extra job even if we have the warmest winter ever measured.
Of course they start brood rearing earlier and that consumes food but I look first, do they need it.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 07:45:20 am »
>Well what are you doing about this warm spell

I was going to fix it tomorrow, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.  Can I buy a snow machine like they have on the ski slopes?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:31:46 am »
My kids have been trying to help...
They always leave the refrigerator door open, but so far that hasn't done anything but make my electric bill way high. :roll:

We finally did get some snow...only time will tell if it stays.
Rick

Offline kensfarm

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:52:12 am »
Wow.. a high of 71F this Sat.  I've been open feeding too..  some really bright red & a little orange pollen coming in..  enough to see plenty of chunks on the sticky board.  I did a powder sugar treatment on Sunday to check 24hr mite drops. 

Plan on ordering pollen sub. soon..

Re-reading the section on making nucs in Increase Essentials.   

10 day forcast.. temp suppose to drop to freezing one day.. then back to the 50's for the week. 

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:57:03 am »
My Bees have plenty of honey and there bringing in pollen.But you know it is usually warm around here
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 02:50:55 pm »
I am making frozen margaritas and sitting around complaining about the heat.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline wff

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:08:16 am »
What warm spell?  It was -49F when I got up this morning.  Supposed to be above 0 by tomorrow night, though.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 07:12:18 am »
What warm spell?  It was -49F when I got up this morning.  Supposed to be above 0 by tomorrow night, though.

You surely need shelter or cellar wintering there :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 09:45:36 pm »
>What warm spell?  It was -49F when I got up this morning.

That's not a warm spell for Two Rivers, Alaska?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 02:12:50 pm »

Spells to everyone. It seems to be real winter in Central area of USA near 0 F and in south east 60-70 F

http://asp.usatoday.com/weather/weatherfront.aspx

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 07:36:22 pm »
I went through all my hives today (70* and mostly sunny). They have lots of brood, honey and are bringing in brigth yellow pollen. The bees look good and it doesn't look like I will have to feed them anytime soon. Next week the high temps are going to be 30*-40* cooler.... :'( Queen Bee

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 12:23:25 am »
We got winter weather starting last night. Gonna stay a few days
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 12:49:31 am »
Gonna be in the mid-30s middle of this coming week, then into the 50s again by the weekend.  All hives still alive, and even bringing in yellow pollen.  Could be from the dandelions that are sprouting (and seeding) or from the pansies in our greenhouse.  Hives are feeling lighter.

Staring out my office window Wednesday morning and I actually saw a few light spitting flurries of snow.  Nothing that reached the ground though, I think.   :(

-- Kris