Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BBC programme about beekeeping words  (Read 2261 times)

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
BBC programme about beekeeping words
« on: January 04, 2005, 12:15:21 pm »
Hello!

Before the crash some weeks ago, Adam aka. astleicht posted info about a BBC programme that would talk about words and language in the beekeeping world.  I recorded it and has made a mp3 version with the non-bee related stuff of the programme left out.  For obvious copyright reasons I can't post this file publicly, but if you want it, send me a mail, and I will mail it back as an attachment.  The size of the mp3 file is 4.7 MB.

My mail address is eivindm at ifi.uio.no (replace " at " with @)

Offline asleitch

• House Bee
BBC programme about beekeeping words
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 04:47:30 am »
Bee Wilson, the women who was interviewied, has also recently completed a book, looking at beekeeping, beekeepers as seen referenced in litertature though the ages. It's well worth a read, even though it's not about "Beekeeping" as such.

Details of her book

Description
Ever since men first hunted for honeycomb in rocks and daubed pictures of it on cave walls, the honeybee has been seen as one of the wonders of nature: social, industrious, beautiful, terrifying. No other creature has inspired in humans an identification so passionate, persistent or fantastical. The Hive recounts the astonishing tale of all the weird and wonderful things that humans believed about bees and their 'society' over the ages. It ranges from the honey delta of ancient Egypt to the Tupelo forests of modern Florida, taking in a cast of characters including Alexander the Great and Napoleon, Sherlock Holmes and Mohammed Ali. The Hive is also a history of ideas, taking us through the evolution of science, religion and politics, and a social history which explores the bee's impact on food and human ritual. In this beautifully illustrated book, Bee Wilson shows how humans will always view the hive as a miniature universe with order and purpose, and look to it to make sense of their own.

ISBN: 0719565987

The Hive: The Story of the Honeybee and Us  
Bee Wilson

The Times
‘Richly informative and beautifully written’

Sunday Times
'Entertaining and thoroughly worthwhile'