Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When to start harvesting proprolis?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline tbrinck

• New Bee
When to start harvesting proprolis?
« on: February 23, 2013, 01:40:25 am »
I know that its not advised to harvest honey during 1st year but what about the sticky stuff? I am very much so looking foward to making creams and salves out of it. I read in the bee keeping for dummies book about adding a special screen to make the bees make more proprolis, does it work well or just create a nightmare removal job?
Thanks
Tyler

Offline blanc

• House Bee
Re: When to start harvesting proprolis?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 10:05:30 am »
I read that the fall is the best time as they are propolizing harder for the winter months to seal the hives. I have two hives with traps now and they are not propolizing that much now with warmer temps here in the south. Hope that helps. The traps are made of plastic and you put in the freezer to easily break it off when frozen.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 12:54:17 pm »
If your using a prophilis trap I would say anytime you can open the hive. 
They sit on top of the frames in the top box.  It wouldn't take anything critical from the hive.
You will get more in the fall than any other times.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:46 pm »
I get mine in the fall.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline tbrinck

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 04:01:54 pm »
All i have been able to find so far have been 10 frame traps, is there a diy trap for 8 frame?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 06:08:15 pm »
Nylon fly screen works just as well as the "traps".

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 09:52:31 pm »
I have never saw one in person but, they look like the same plastic some queen excluders are made from. Call and ask the supply store. If this is the case they can be cut down to 8 frame easily.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 10:12:40 pm »
Forum member bee farmer can tell you most everything you would need to know.
Just gotta catch him on here.
Bailey.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 10:46:18 pm »
I pull mine in early fall down here. Our nectar flows are slowing down then and they can spend more time on propolis and then they still have plenty of time to seal any gaps before it gets cooler. On the 8 frame size, you could just trim down a ten frame size

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:36:41 am »
In Brazil the raise African bees to collect green propolis. To do this they modify the hives to make a 1/2 slot the length of the hive, between boxes. When the bees fill it in they open it up another 1/2 inch. After it is filled in they cut out the 1" x 1/2" by 19" long strip of propolis and process it and sell it. It is green because it comes from a tree that grows in that area. It is great for sore throats.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything