Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Opinions Wanted please!  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
    • Sweet as can BEE Honey Farm
Opinions Wanted please!
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:26 pm »
We have been keeping bees for about 5-6 years now and we are growing a lot, especially in the sales area. I want to grow more but that means I might need to hire someone to help me. See, some weekends, there are like 8 events I need to choose from and I would love to do like two events but I am only me and cant be in two places at once. (darn it.)

I was thinking of hiring someone to do a booth. I am looking for someone who I can trust, that ont steal and who is a good seller. Someone who will go out and learn the bees a little and read a book or two on beekeeping.

Do you think this is a good idea? I woundnt just hire someone. The person would need to learn about beekeeping so they can answer questions.

Pay is the hard thing... next to trust. I was thinking like $12 an hour plus commision based on sales.

I would love to know your opinions. Please let me know what you think.
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline oldenglish

• House Bee
    • Colonial Honey Farm
Re: Opinions Wanted please!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 08:41:29 pm »
Looks like a good idea, I would suggest seeing if a local club member is interested, maybe not have to pay as much if willing to trade the education of learning a business for the time and effort put in, pity I am spread kinda thin right now.

Online iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:43:28 pm »
I would go with a teenage girl, with her mother close by to chaperon. She will sell more than you or I ever will. Just ask at your local beek club for any teenage girl beeks. Pay 20% of sells, no guarantee. Pay mileage if over 25, and pay expenses if overnight stay is required.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:30 pm »
old:

I love ot teach but when it comes to business, some things I like to share and some things I do not. I love to owrk with other beekeepers but unless we are in partnership, it is hard to share my ideas and thoughts. I have been screwed before.

Iddee: Good idea!
Chef Isaac... Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »
well without knowing who is selling my stuff, I would put my wife there until I got to know someone good enough! honey sells its self and you don't need a good salesman just someone that know a little about bee's would be a plus so to me put someone that you trust, if you don't know them then don't trust them yet, you can get a friend or friends kids or a close relative to do this and give then a little schooling on bee's and honey..... 
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 11:09:53 pm »
I like the teenager idea but also consider an elderly person. Someone's paw paw or maw maw. You  can usually trust someone's grandparents. And they would really appreciate the pay if they are retired.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:53:09 pm »
My thoughts are that I would have that person work some events with me. I would type up a sheet that they would need to study a little with all the information that will need to know. I would have them read a book on beekeeping (something simple like Beekeeping for Dummies) and have them come out and see the bees a couple of times.

Is that asking too much? :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 12:04:10 am »
My thoughts are that I would have that person work some events with me. I would type up a sheet that they would need to study a little with all the information that will need to know. I would have them read a book on beekeeping (something simple like Beekeeping for Dummies) and have them come out and see the bees a couple of times.

Is that asking too much? :)

Heck no! You may have people beating down your door to pay you to help you. I have a lady customer that tells me every time I see her, let me know if you ever need help with the bees.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 12:09:55 am »
Well, I just placed an ad online so we will se what turns up.

Offline Bozoshoes

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:31 am »
Just find someone who sells a similar product in their own booth. Stock them up for free( that way you control the inventory and the price) .Then resupply them at your convenience. Replace the inventory at 80% of the selling price so that they keep 20%. Just make them understand that the Honey is yours and you can decide to take it back at anytime. To make it simple, set them up with 10 jars that they can sell for $5. When you see them next. if they have 4 jars left, replace 6 jars and collect $24 bucks. Why pay someone to sit there all day, when they could be helping you with your hives and learning something.  :-D

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:22:39 am »
I have a hard time justifying stocking someone elses booth with my honey. The reason is that thye need to learn a little bit about beekeeping and about the profiles of the honey.

See, I would never pay someone to just sell honey while I am joy riding and doing other things. If, for example, I have two shows that weekened, I would do one and they would do the other. I know I would make less money at the other one due to the fact that I have to pay a wage but at the end of the day, it is a little more money then what I had before. Plus the fact that I get my name out there.

This is going to be a hard pick. Cant just be anyone. Has to be the right person.

Offline blckoakbees

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:55 am »
As a relatively new beekeeper who now has honey, I was interested in how you choose events to sell honey at and if there is anything special you do to sell it. Do you sell other products as well at your booth.

I need to get the bees to pay for themselves and actually make some money this year. Does anyone sell pollen?

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:16:24 am »
If the goal is honey sales,  then find some others who already attend for there own reasons and either swap products,  or let them stock yours......

Honey sales as mentioned sell themselves.... let someone else make a margin on your product,  and forgett them trying to be a part of your team or hourly sales people......

Like bozoshoes said,   stock them and resupply........

If your looking for more than sales then plan b...

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:11:33 am »
One thing that you may want to do is form an LLC to protect yourself and assets from liability issues.

Offline Chef Isaac

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 04:34:29 pm »
I have an LLC already.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 06:29:29 pm »
Try a niece or nephew maybe,  but its hard, is there someone that wants to start bees and is willing to be mentored, that would give you a good doorway to work. Teach them self sufficentcy and you cna ride ther wagon for a bit. Later on maybe they will work with you.   to sell both your products. Not a partnerhip just a communication between student and teacher. If it was me I would    get family of some sort. or just a teenage kid interested in bees. help them get started. mentor and have them help you.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Carl F

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 09:45:16 pm »
Would you think about an older teen who is involved with 4-H, Scouts, or Junior Achievement?  Those are all programs that seem to attract more trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, curteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent (a little Boy Scout humor there) kids.  If you found such an individual who is old enough to have a driver's license and the need to earn a little money to support their own interests or college savings, you might have a real win-win situation.  They could earn money, learn something that might earn a badge or credit for their program.  You should have a reliable, motivated employee that you might not have to pay as much as you would a full fledged adult employee.
Let your life speak.

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 07:20:48 pm »
I own two companies (small, but still...) and have a lot of business background.  My two cents:

Never hire someone you can't easily fire.  That would be family, friends, etc.  It may work out great, but that's rare.

Teenagers require a *lot* of supervision.  My son is an eagle scout (as soon as he finishes his project this summer) and he has to be supervised when working at a client.  A friend of mine owned a Jet City Pizza franchise and had to have a management figure there constantly.

From what you've said, you don't want an employee.  You want a 'sub-contractor', unless there's an equivalent sales-related category.  An employee means a significant tax burden on you:  L&I, medicare, your half of SSI, etc.  I think you'd be happier with someone you can just give a check and a 1099 to.  Ensure that you have a written contract regarding the compensation and expectations.

The idea of having another booth vend your product is a good one, but a stretch.  Which product gets pushed?  As long as the inventory works out, this could be a good idea, but I'd avoid direct competitors.

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

anything