Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How does everyone store their drawn frames through winter  (Read 4627 times)

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
Re: How does everyone store their drawn frames through winter
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
I would like to add regarding the method i mentioned above, when you take your supers off the stack in the spring, your supers will look like the day you put them on the stack, perfect; no mildew, no mice, no ants, no spiders, no hive beetles, no moths, just perfectly drawn comb.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: How does everyone store their drawn frames through winter
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
My initial reply said use a garbage can because it would be better than plastic, which it would, and I answered the question asked.
Now the way I do it is as follows:
After extracting I let the bees clean out the frames by putting them back on the hive for a few days.
I then set the supers full of frames on an upside down telescopic top that has a moving screen in it (a frame covered with aluminum door screen).
I stack the supers as high as eight mediums high and cover with another moving screen on top (I have a bad back and shoulders so I can only stack to shoulder level).
They can be stacked either inside or outside, the important point is keep the screens in place to prevent wax moths and shb out.
Outside they will usually freeze several different times during the winter, killed eggs of wax moth and shb.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!