Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Little bugs  (Read 1958 times)

Offline gunny

• House Bee
Little bugs
« on: June 14, 2008, 10:02:05 pm »
Was working with 2 of my hives today and noticed some small bugs running around loose in both hives.  Small (18") dark beetle looking bugs.  Bees didn't seem to pay them any attention.  Good strong solid hives with plenty of stores of both pollen and honey.  No wax moths (about the worst pest I've had).

If they are SHB, will the bees take care of them on their own or will I need to do something to help the girls?

Looks like we are going to have a real good honey year.

OOPS, meant 1/8" sized bugs.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 08:39:38 am by gunny »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Little bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 01:11:47 am »
Was working with 2 of my hives today and noticed some small bugs running around loose in both hives.  Small (18") dark beetle looking bugs.  Bees didn't seem to pay them any attention.  Good strong solid hives with plenty of stores of both pollen and honey.  No wax moths (about the worst pest I've had).

If they are SHB, will the bees take care of them on their own or will I need to do something to help the girls?

Looks like we are going to have a real good honey year.

They are most likely shb, strong colonies survive just fine with them, they will take over a weak hive rapidly. Some on here are using AJ's hive beetle traps with good success.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Erik T

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 01:25:06 am »
Small 18" dark beetle looking bugs?  I'd hardly call that small.  If I found something like that hanging around, I'd have to take it out with the 7mm magnum.  :-D

I'm guessing you meant 0.18", in which case it's small hive beetles.  Install a West or AJ beetle trap and try to put your hives in full sun.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 02:56:00 pm »
This is an SHB.....
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:54:44 am »
How about Box Elder bugs? I've found a few hanging around my hive lately.

Scott

anything