Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: something to ponder  (Read 6477 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
something to ponder
« on: November 18, 2008, 04:57:02 pm »
Just think. If the GMO crops are having an effect on honey bees.
Just think of what will happen to the human race as we know it.
If the bees get poisoned from the nectar, what is to keep us from getting the same from the finished product.
Know of anyone disappearing?

I think it is a genetic mutation thing. And may be originating from "tangible" pesticides.
My 2 cents.
 :)doak

P.S.
Study Genes

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: something to ponder
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:39 pm »
Amendment to my post. "insecticides".
Here is my reasoning.
Year before last I lost 7 out of 12 colonies.
5 of these were from commercial queens + the fact I treated those that were lost. These 5
showed the CCD symptoms, no dead bees at the hive or inside. Honey left inside. no robbing from other colonies, no wax moths.
The other two showed normal loss symptoms, these were from my feral stock but were also treated.
The 5 surviving colonies were all the way feral and had feral queens and was not treated.

NOW, I live in an area where there is very little spraying. Three gardens with in about one mile and
these people use hardly any insecticides. U.S forest service and timber companies spray very little.
The power Co. uses "pesticides". ( plant growth control).

So the 5 colonies out of 7 that showed symptoms of CCD, whats up with that.
Did I answer my own ???'s .?

Then it beats me as to why I was thinking of getting new stock.
Because I have mean bees, but they make lots of honey.

Mainly concerned with my wife getting stung. Because some time she is stubborn and will not stay inside when I am working the bees. She cannot get stung.
Also one of the reasons I was thinking of giving up bee keeping all together.
But I have decided to try to maintain 4 to 6 colonies and get my heavy work done before the heat gets to bad in the summer months.
And keep my wife locked up when working the colonies. :roll: ;) :)doak

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERY ONE.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:03 pm »
Doak, some very interesting thoughts you got goin' on there.  I will like to hear the comments that will come forth.

About your Wife, that sounds like it may a life threatening thing, should she get stung.  Tell us more about that, I need to know.  Tell her to be very careful when you are out working with the bees.  Have a wonderful, great day, life and great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:18:34 pm »
My wife Is highly allergic to any kind of bee sting, wasp, yellow jacket, hornet, you name it.
Emergency room here we come.
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 10:59:44 am »
Doak, oh you must be so careful.  Thank you for telling me that.  Have a great and wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 05:57:09 pm »
look at this and tell me what you think, seems she has some good info true or not,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XnvZAcM0U&feature=related
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline TimV

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:27:48 am »
She's a classic conspiracy theorist. Neonicotinoids weaken immune systems, bees with CCD have weakened immune systems therefore.....

I thought it interesting that she said there is no sign of disease with these hives. I guess AIDS isn't a disease? After all, the reason that you die from AIDS is a weakened immune system.

My bees last year in an old organic almond orchard had the same symptoms as in town, so how could it be pesticides?

My bees this year don't have the problem, but they're in the same places and the locals are using the same pesticides.

People should do a bit of systematic thought before going on Youtube.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:53:20 pm »
look at this and tell me what you think, seems she has some good info true or not,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_XnvZAcM0U&feature=related

There are some trends out there that beg for further research since GMO foods have been introduced into our diet:
Increasing rate of diabetes.
Increased cases in Autism and other neurological disorders.
National Plague of Obesity.
Die off of all natural pollenators.
Allergies to GMO foods increase at alarming rate.

I know there's more but "me mente no trabajar"
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:37 pm »
I don't have enough of the hands on experience most of you are have (and, honestly, I hope NOT to have to become a test case for CCD) but I am in the middle of reading A Spring Without Bees which I think was mentioned here before - if this book can't convince you that the problem is neonics then you just aren't paying attention.

The book is not the most well-written thing I have ever read (lots of repetition and it seems like every little section ends with a list of questions which is a little annoying) but certainly presents the case against imidacloprid and fipronil very steadfastly. I had already kind of decided that they were the culprit (then causing other things to "finish" the bees off) but now I have some stats to back things up.

It sounds like the real issue is that we, as beekeepers, need to try and get our own funding going to support ongoing research for the sub-lethal dose effects since it appears that bees will AVOID the pesticides at 20ppm or more but can actually have disorienting (and ultimately lethal) effects when they encounter them in amounts as small as 3ppm.

If Obama can fund an entire presidential campaign can't we get half a mil together to get Penn State to do some more extensive field tests?! (Operators are standing by...)

anything