Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whitewashing hives?  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Pre-Bee (Rowan)

• New Bee
Whitewashing hives?
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:52:43 pm »
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or in one of the other forums, but has anyone tried whitewashing their hives?  From what I've heard it is antibacterial, and seems it might be better for the bees than off-gassing paint.  I don't know how it would hold up to the weather on the outer part of the hive, but I would think that the inside would be fine.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Whitewashing hives?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:59:46 am »
Ne need to ever paint the inside.  The bees will coat it in propolis.  I've never used white wash but saw it as a kid.  Probably it would work ok.  Seemed to me it had some fume kind of smell to it, but that was a very long time ago...  I wouldn't worry about latex paint if you want to use it.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stoppainting
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mrs.h

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »

bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stoppainting

I found this link very helpful!
Samantha,
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »
White wash is water soluble and will wash off in the rain.  It is a waste of time.
Regards
Joe

Offline AndrewT

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 04:44:08 pm »
I've always used white exterior latex paint on my hive stuff, and I still have some of the first supers that I bought twenty years ago.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like my nice, white hives.
Give a man a fish and he will have dinner.  Teach a man to fish and he will be late for dinner.