Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: is this a good good deal?  (Read 2886 times)

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
is this a good good deal?
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:02:24 am »
I have some one wanting to sale me 2 deeps bottom board and a roof top with bee's and all. he said $200.00 bucks is this a good deal?
Dracono

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
Re: is this a good good deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:03:56 am »
also all of this comes with new boxes and frames. everything is new.
Dracono

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:42:31 am »
I have some one wanting to sale me 2 deeps bottom board and a roof top with bee's and all. he said $200.00 bucks is this a good deal?

Where is Catalina?  Someone might be able to direct you to a better deal near you if your location is more described.

Is this a full box of bees, a package, five frames from a nuc?  I would say it a fair deal either ways if its all assembled and painted.  If you were to buy the equipment stated assembled and painted that would run around $150.00 plus shipping.  A pacaage of bees goes from $50 to $100 and nucs from $75 to $100.  All in all not a bad deal.

Unless you are going to get used equipment and get something like this near you, you are not likely going to find a better deal in my opinion.

https://www.bbhoneyfarms.com/products.php?iid=27&cid=33
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:50:36 am »
If the deal includes a good, strong, and clean (no disease) colony of bees, that price looks reasonable.
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:59:44 am »
If you want everything all ready to go, instant hive, I think it is a fair deal, not overcharging.  $40 per assembled deeps w/ frames and foundation, $10 each for top and bottom, plus $100 for the bees, that is what you will pay anywhere else.

If you are like me and would rather do the work than pay the price, then it isn't. :roll:
Rick

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:20 am »
They are 2x10 frame deeps with foundations, prety much an instant hive for $200.00
Dracono

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:55 pm »
any one else have any clue if this is a great deal?
Dracono

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »
it's probably not bad.  package here is 75 dollars this year. 

if the equipment is good and the queen is good, it's nice to get your hands on an established hive.  i'd find out how old the queen is and what-if any- treatments have been done on the bees.  i don't know what kind of beekeeping you want to do, but if you want to do all natural and this hive has been treated, that might be an issue.  not so much if it's the other way around.

i'd sure check inside and make sure you have a good brood pattern and a good number of bees.

is this from an apiary, hobby beekeeper, ??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:37:03 pm »
I agree with Kathy. If its a nice strong booming colony & treatment free it is a good deal.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »
Sounds good even if you have to requeen. I would look into it.
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline Dracono

• House Bee
    • Rachels Amazing Spices
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 12:48:12 pm »
okay every thanks for the info... I would like a few more responces before I make my decision thanks again
Dracono

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »
Considering what you're getting it's a deal.  You could save some (+/-$40) by assembling/painting your own stuff but if you're not wanting to do this it's got good value.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:11:56 pm »
If you don't want to spend the money and are willing to be patient getting the bees (via swarms, cutouts, splits, etc) and can make your own equipment or buy used, you can get by much cheaper.  Either way, give it a year and you have the same strength hive.

It is really a personal decision.
Rick

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:45:01 pm »
"Good" deal,..  well not good.  but fair.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:57:58 pm »
just on a description and from what I've seen in recommended prices on this site, I'd say the seller is NOT trying to rip you off at least.
if you wanna go really cheap, you could build a top bar hive. (Langstroth boxes are easy to build for yourself once you have one to take measurements from.)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »
okay every thanks for the info... I would like a few more responces before I make my decision thanks again

This is my opinion but if I were you I would hurry up and get that deal while you can.  I hear there may be a real shortage of queens, packages, nucs, and singles (colonies).  I got a single last year for $110.00.  This year they want $175.00.   They pacages and nucs are all spocken for and I will not pay $175.00 for a single deep with used equipment.

I really think you should take it while you can get it.  Maybe Im wrong but I hear there is serious loses this year and poor weather in flordia for queen rearing and the like.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

anything